Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

runs 3 seconds, then shuts off

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

I have a HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop with Vista on it and 3 GB of RAM. I turned the laptop on and it ran for 3 seconds and then shut off and then came back on by itself , ran 3 seconds, off, repeats continualy. Nothing seemed wrong when it was shut off. I didn't add any new programs and no new Microsoft downloads added lately. I pulled the RAM out, cleaned the old ends with an eraser and reinstalled them. I took the hard drive out and replaced it and that didn't do any good either.......same results. There's no dust in the air intake. Does anyone have an idea what may be wrong ? Motherboard ? Do I now have a new paper weight ?
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crashoveride420

Crashoveride420

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

Any odd noises or anything. I would think there would be a warning of some kind before it flat lined

#3 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:11 AM

I think I saw out of the corner of my eye, strange horizonal lines, but when I looked straight at the laptop it shut off. When it starts for 3 seconds now, I can hear the cd drive vibrate a little and a fan kick on. Nothing pops up on the screen either. Strange !
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

This is a common problem in the dv 6000 series and could be yours too.
Typical in the dv series with AMD processors and Nvidia graphics. The AMD CPU models show the problem much earlier due to the extra heat from the CPU.

I searched for the problem on the net and found that there is a die-packaging manufacturing defect in nvidia GPU of G84 and G86 which was officially announced by NVIDIA. These nvidia GPU are in most of dv2000/dv6000 series of HP pavilion laptops

http://www.nerdmodo.com/2009/04/repairing-the-display-problem-in-hp-dv2000dv6000-series/

I hope this isn't your problem.
Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 18 February 2012 - 11:41 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users