Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what does it mean?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sniper8752

sniper8752

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

I am trying to install windows xp on the side of my computer. Attached File  disk mgmt.PNG   2.69KB   11 downloads i delete the volume on the right. i create a new simple volume, ntfs, then i get an error. it shows that it's loading for a while. then it gives me this error message. Attached File  error.PNG   18.35KB   12 downloads

i am thinking that this red box has something to do with the trouble i am having...

Edited by sniper8752, 17 February 2012 - 05:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:58 PM

If I understand you correctly you want to setup a dual boot with Linux and windows on a system with Linux already installed?

First, are all partitions primary?

Do you have a partition for Linux Swap?

Do you have a partition 100MB for Windows? (I partition my drive first so that sda1, sda2, and sda3 are Win7, swap, and ext4 before installing windows and this stops the auto 100MB partition being created.)

If yes let me point out now that any and all documentation I've read state that Linux/Ubuntu should be installed first on the first drive or partition. (I've done it backwards myself but find issues popup down the road and hassles with the MBR and/or loader can occur.)

You can DL a free copy of gparted or any other partition tool you like that supports Linux and Windows formats and see if your able to move/resize the partitions to give you space for a new partition 1 for windows it could save you some time.

I hope this helps and points you in the right directions regarding your dual boot. If not please try and provide details as I have above so that a better answer can be provided.

L8r

#3 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

I am trying to install windows xp on the side of my computer.

What exactly does that mean?

I don't remember XP setting up a 100MB partition the way W7 does, so that shouldn't be an issue.

As for setting up XP, this resource may prove helpful.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_linux_and_windows_xp_linux_installed_first.htm

Finally, the process for installing XP and Linux is usually more complicated when you install Linux first becuase the XP installation process automatically overwrites the MBR and boot sector, so you have to go back and restore all of it. If you install XP first, the Linux setup program will realize that and adjust the boot loader without hassle.

For comparison: http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_linux_xp_installed_first.htm

Edited by LucheLibre, 18 February 2012 - 02:57 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users