Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Learning to Subnet, need help please!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:15 PM

Hi, i am learning to subnet, i have learnt bits and peices before but it goes over my head easily. Are there any videos online that can help me learn to subnet, i also need to know about VLSM. Something easy and informative would be great!

For exaple, i have attached an image, this was something i had from a teacher that i thought i would take to try and learn actually how those answers came about. If you could look at that and possibly help me with that too that would be great!! I know how to work out the default network mask and the class of IP address, but after that it goes over my head.

Any help would be highly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance :)

Link to image here: http://postimage.org/image/7fjx8mqz1/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

Please someone! This would be sooo appreciated! :D

#3 tehcwhiz

tehcwhiz

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

I learnt to subnet using the videos from cbt nuggets.
In particular the CCNA videos.
I can try and teach you if you post exactly what you don't understand.
Once you get your head arround it, it is quite simple.. it's getting your head arround it that is the hard part!

Post your questions here and I will answer them.

#4 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

Once you get your head arround it, it is quite simple.. it's getting your head arround it that is the hard part!

Ive just watched a 55 minute video from cbt nuggets and WOW!!! Its explained everything perfectly, it was sooo worth watching :D

Thank you so much for that advice :D Cleared sooo much up!! :)

#5 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

I'm a 2nd year CCNA major in college and if you have any questions or want me to look over your subnetting work, feel free to PM me or reply to this post.

Subnetting is pretty easy once you learn the basics. I'm not sure which method cbtnuggets teaches, but I do it by the "rules" way.

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:01 AM

Ive just watched a 55 minute video from cbt nuggets and WOW!!! Its explained everything perfectly, it was sooo worth watching :D

Thank you so much for that advice :D Cleared sooo much up!! :)

Why not post the link as others may be interested. :)
MCP
MSDST

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

Ahh the beauty of the internet, Friendly advice they do have subnet calculators you can load onto just about anything (like smartphones) and ones that are web based. These are nice to check your math but don't use them to DO your homework. If your in cisco's certification program the CCNA exam requires you to subnet with only a pencil, if you use the calculators you will have no idea what your doing. You will also be required to subnet on your skills exam. Lastly depending on the network the calculator takes longer then your head would.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:35 AM

I agree with CBT Nuggets as well, some of the instructors are VERY good and KNOW what they are doing...meaning they are not just reading a script.

I would suggest watching the Network+ CBT Nuggets for CompTIA...this will give you a very good understanding of basic networking including subnets and "where IP addresses come from"

I actually went back and watched these videos again before my Extreme test just because it had been so long since I had to deal with breaking down everything.

http://www.subnet-calculator.com/
^ very useful

Remember to keep in mind, depending on what you are trying to do you do not always need to use a subnet. I commonly use them when I need to keep networks separate, for instance last week when i setup a VPN router for a city government office they wanted to have a wireless network connected but to only provide internet access and prevent all local access.

Put the Wireless on a different subnet, went into firewall and blocked that subnet from accessing WAN. Simple as that.

The thing to remember is creating the subnets you will essentially be changing the amount of available IPs so you need to make sure you have enough in the subnet for how many IPs you will be giving out.

If you have any questions feel free to let us know!

Edited by tripflex, 05 March 2012 - 11:38 AM.

There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users