Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba a110-252 Laptop - Built in HHD password

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ident

ident

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

A few days ago was given a laptop by a friend who's grandchildren had kindly entered a BIOS password. After messing around, then finally setting up a camcorder to video the disabled number that flashes before turning off i manged to get the password.

To my horror "Pleas enter your built in HDD password"

:(

1 down one to go. Any ideas welcome :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

Hi -
Have you asked the person who gave you the computer if they know the password ??
They would have also needed it -

Thank You -
EDIT 0
There is no "built in" password that I know of, only ones entered by the owner -

Edited by noknojon, 17 February 2012 - 02:49 PM.

#3 ident

ident
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

Think you must of miss read what i said lol, given a laptop by a friend who's grandchildren had kindly entered a BIOS password.
I managed to resolve this by getting the password, and then to my horror instead of booting into windows ""Pleas enter your built in HDD password""

So no they don't know the password hence given it to me lol

Thanks for the reply though :)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

I had never heard of a HDD pasword until your post...but it seems that Toshiba owners have :).

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/System-Recovery-and-Recovery/BIOS-HDD-Password/td-p/168690 , I'd start with comments by daopa.

Louis

#5 ident

ident
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

Thank you for the reply hamluis. I have already been told that earlier. I was just hoping for a better second opinion :D

Thank you though

Edited by ident, 17 February 2012 - 04:48 PM.

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

Hi

Sometimes the default for that password is a space. That is to say, hit the spacebar one time and then press enter.

There is a forensic workaround that does not remove the password but allows you to back up the data on there. I don't know if it is appropriate to post so I can only say that if you find a company that claims they can do it for $xxx they probably really can.

I would contact Toshiba first and see what they require to recover it for you. I'm sure that they deal with this question a lot :)

James

#7 Kennyg74

Kennyg74

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

Not much you can do, I had a customers laptop which on boot up asked for a password, the only answer I got was sending it off to toshiba.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users