Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Or Motherboard Problem?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kenny C

Kenny C

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:56 PM

A week ago I experienced an unexpected restart after I connected a digital camera to one of the USB ports on the front of my computer. After the restart the computer ran for another couple of hours before unexpectedly shutting down. After that I could not turn on my computer. The fans and the hard-drives came on, but there were neither LED lights nor video output. After about 10 seconds the power would go off. I went and replaced the PSU, thinking that it was a power problem. Now the computer exhibits the same behavior in addition to emitting smoke. Where the smoke comes from, I cannot tell (though I know it is not coming from the PSU or any of the drives). When looking at the motherboard with the cover off I see that the motherboard LED lights up, making me think that some other component is failing. Or is it still possible that the motherboard burned out?

Mind you, three weeks before these events I was forced to replace a truly burned out motherboard (a biostar) with this one (an asus). However, in the process of replacing one motherboard with another, I had great difficulty in extracting my processor. Some of the pins bent when the thing finally came out. I was able to straighten them and insert the processor in the new motherboard. I also rubbed off the old thermal pad with the thermal pad removed supplied by Arctic Silver. I then applied the requisite amount of arctic silver to the processor. I reinstalled the heatsink supplied by AMD.

I was wondering whether the arctic silver would fail just after several weeks of use? (The heatsink fan still works.) Could the bent pins, though successfully straightened, have drastically shortened the CPU's life (it was only bought last June)?

My techincal specs:

AMD Sempron 3000+ Palermo
1 X Rosewill 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
ASUS K8N Socket 754 M-board
XFX Geforce MX4000
NEC Beige IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3550A
Western Digital Caviar SE 80GB 3.5" Serial ATA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:41 AM

If your seeing smoke something is seriously wrong. I'd try a different CPU, although it could be the mobo. There's no real way of knowing without trying.

I wouldn't advise using your PC until you've sorted it out as you may end up doing some serious damage. If you can I'd completely rebuild the system from scratch take out the cpu and clean it and see if it's got any burn marks on it.

If the PC is randomly shutting down it could be a over heating problem either with the cpu or the mobo. As I said above there's no way of knowing without testing the parts and eliminating them one by one.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:56 PM

With the story about the trauma to the processor - it'd be my first bet as to what went bad.

But, that could lead to other problems - which could include damage to the motherboard.

I'd try a new CPU, then a new mobo. Another person on these boards had a similar problaem and decided that it was better to just buy a "barebones" kit from TigerDirect instead of hassling with the troubleshooting.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:11 PM

Well if the processor fit in the socket fine I doubt it would be that. What did you use to straighten the pins? This sounds to me like some sort of cooling problem. I would contact AMD and see what they have to offer.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:50 AM

Most computer shops can test the mobo and the processor.

Unless you have the diagnostic equipment to do so it may be time to take it to a pro.

Smoke coming from a computer means something serious has occurred, and you may have to replace everything, or maybe not, but I would take it in to get it tested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users