Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pixel defects on LCD laptop screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ziva

Ziva

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

Hi,

I bought a new HP dv7 Pavilion model for myself around Christmas. Right out of the box I didn't like the way the screen looked. I thought it was because I had moved up from an older 2004 Pavilion with a smaller TFT screen. The new has an LCD screen and is much larger. Figured I needed time to adjust to it. But after a month it just got too hard to ignore that the screen has a blue tint and that when I work with graphics, the colors are inaccurate. Reds, yellows are much too bright. Some shades of pinks even look orange. I contacted HP and told them of my complaint in detail. After having me restoring it back to it's original factory settings - which made no difference - they decided I needed to send it in for repairs.

Long story short: after a little over a week the laptop was returned to me in the same condition. According to the letter sent with it their techs put it through tests and could find nothing wrong with it. And quote " While there may be minor problems, or display inconsistencies, the LCD functions within HP specifications parameters."

They did note they they found 210 pixel defects. But that apparently passed their standard test process.

I don't know much about pixels - other than what they are. Should I consider 210 pixel defects as acceptable?

Would appreciate anyone's opinion,

Thank you for reading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Did they elaborate on what type of faults they were? I don't see how 210 faults could be considered acceptable.

HP LCD panel defect policy:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?aoid=35252&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00035844&lang=en&lc=en

Incidentally, TFT is just a particular type of LCD technology.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Ziva

Ziva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

HI,

No. They do not say anything specific. Just says under Parts Replaced: 210 Pixel Defect. Then next to that under Repair Actions: Tested and passed standard test processes. Don't even know if they are referring to dead pixels. Haven't turned the return product on yet. It was icy cold and am waiting till it warms up overnight before even turning it on.

The link from HP about their pixel policy is interesting. But am not sure if it applies to me.

Thank you for reading and responding.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

Ah, I suspect that might be an internal HP fault code, i.e. Fault #210 = Pixel Defect. Fault #220 might be Backlight Failure or something. Just a guess.

Does it have LED backlighting? Some people don't like the color balance of LED screens, considering them too bright and too blue.

On the other hand, if you've been used to your old screen and it had grown dull and reddish, your eye can grow accustomed to that color balance. Every screen will look at least slightly different. It might be a matter of setting up a profile with gamma adjustments in the video settings.

Edited by Platypus, 17 February 2012 - 09:13 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Ziva

Ziva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

Yes, I guess the pixel thing makes sense. They should have made it more clear though. Yes, the LED screen has a back light. I have tried adjusting the gamma but when I click finish, the settings automatically reset to the factory settings. Even the True Type setting will not allow me to make permanent changes.

I am new to Windows 7 and have had my old NB since 2004. Also having trouble adjusting to the widescreen of the new. I like my old with it's 15.4 sized screen. More squarish. Makes it easier to see web pages and such. Also allows more room for working with my graphics program. At least there's more height to work with.

Guess I'm gonna have to give it more time.

Thanks for reading.

P.S, You are dead on about the blue screen and bright colors. That's my big complaint about the laptop.

Ziva

Edited by Ziva, 17 February 2012 - 09:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users