Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP BSOD, best way to monitor to resolve problem?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

I have an XP machine that has just recently started to spit out 0x9c BSOD. As far as i can tell it's some type of hardware issue as the dump file shows hal.dll which if i remember correctly is the hardware abstraction layer or something similar to that.

Here's the dump info:
=====================================================================================
On Fri 12/9/2011 9:06:55 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini120911-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x58DB)
Bugcheck code: 0x9C (0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF8054E0F0, 0xFFFFFFFFA2000000, 0xFFFFFFFF84010400)
Error: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
=====================================================================================

Now i have this device setup as server so re installing everything or replacing the equipment is going to be the LAST resort as this is a server I use daily.

My question really comes down to what would you guys recommend software wise to monitor the server to try and further diagnose the problem and find out what is causing the issue. I found a lot of hardware monitoring tools but the only one i found that seems to work correctly is CPUID HWMonitor pro. The only problem is the logging feature does not work if the computer crashes itself.

Does anybody have any recommendations on how I can monitor this server to try and narrow down what piece of hardware could be causing the problem? I would like to monitor all hardware including the CPU temp but haven't been able to find any software to really be able to do this for me.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 17 February 2012 - 10:13 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

Hi -
This program is the best to monitor BSODs that is used here -

Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

Thank You -

#3 tripflex

tripflex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

Hi -
This program is the best to monitor BSODs that is used here -

Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

Thank You -

Thank you for your reply, I have used the HTML file and uploaded it to one of my sites, you can view everything here:

http://securewebfile.com/bsod/bsod_report.html

Thanks for your help again!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

Please...run the suggested BlueScreenView program, it will possibly provide a more detailed picture of what has transpired on your system.

A single BSOD is very difficult to diagnose, since troubleshooting BSODs often involves looking at a given pattern. If you look at any of the documented BSOD errors...you will see that they are all couched in general terms, some with more specifics than others. The general terms come about because there are so many things which may fit under the umbrella of a specific message...seeing a pattern is (if such exists) tends to be more useful than trying to interpret a single message.

Louis

#5 tripflex

tripflex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

Please...run the suggested BlueScreenView program, it will possibly provide a more detailed picture of what has transpired on your system.

A single BSOD is very difficult to diagnose, since troubleshooting BSODs often involves looking at a given pattern. If you look at any of the documented BSOD errors...you will see that they are all couched in general terms, some with more specifics than others. The general terms come about because there are so many things which may fit under the umbrella of a specific message...seeing a pattern is (if such exists) tends to be more useful than trying to interpret a single message.

Louis

I did, please see my post above yours.

Here's a pastebin of the information exactly as the first reply indicated to obtain the report:

http://pastebin.com/WSygQcPx

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

Apologies, thanks :).

I would not consider...2 years worth of BSODs...as a recent occurrence. You have had problems for some time.

Your problems seem to have begun 2 years ago...with Windows having problems with several files of dubious origin:

2942.Dump File : Mini011110-01.dmp
2943.Crash Time : 1/11/2010 9:15:08 AM
2944.Bug Check String : KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
2945.Bug Check Code : 0x1000008e
2946.Parameter 1 : 0xc0000005
2947.Parameter 2 : 0xbad905e1
2948.Parameter 3 : 0xb5998a38
2949.Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
2950.Caused By Driver : pcx3003.sys2951.Caused By Address : pcx3003.sys+25e1
2952.File Description :
2953.Product Name :
2954.Company :
2955.File Version :
2956.Processor : 32-bit
2957.Crash Address : pcx3003.sys+25e1
2958.Stack Address 1 : pcx3003.sys+2812
2959.Stack Address 2 : pcx3003.sys+2e43
2960.Stack Address 3 : frg3008.sys+7374
2961.Computer Name :
2962.Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini011110-01.dmp
2963.Processors Count : 1
2964.Major Version : 15
2965.Minor Version : 2600
2966.Dump File Size : 90,112

None of the seeming references above...seem to be traceable files.

Only reference I could find on frg3008.sys is at http://startups.cesam-antimalware.com/En/Files/frg3008.sys/ , which reveals nothing.

I find this practically amazing, considering the effiency of Google.

Aside from the files highlighted above, your dumps don't provide any clues that I can comprehend.

As for 9C errors...see http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm .

"0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU)."

I would start trying to eliminate the suspects listed by Aumha, in no particular order.

Louis

#7 tripflex

tripflex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

Thank you for your reply, the files are associated with some proprietary Barco hardware as far as I can tell and Barco has been absolutely no help at all. Their only solution is to replace the entire server which would obviously be their intentions to make me pay over 10k for a new one...i've actually lost a lot of faith in Barco and will never recommend their products again. Which also leads me to believe they don't even know what they are doing as i'm pretty sure the tech i spoke with knew less about computers than I do. Now granted i'm a computer nerd and have been for many years but that doesn't change the fact that you should still know what a dump file is if you claim to be a "support technician". Then I spoke with the support manager and he had the nerve to tell me I have to promise them a certain amount of money ( in the millions ) a year in sales before they will provide "direct support" ... that's bs if you ask me.

The frg3008.sys i know for sure is one of their files as i believe it relates to a "frame grabber" for a video input card.

All of this leads to the reason why i'm trying to find some type of software to install on the server to monitor hardware to possibly track down the real culprit. The system is WAY to expensive to replace at this point and I certainly do NOT want to give any money to Barco if i don't have to.

The server has been having this problem for a couple years but it has just recently become very common almost happening everyday problem and I was just recently made aware of it.

So back to the issue at hand, is there anything else you can recommend to try and track down the real issue?

2950.Caused By Driver : pcx3003.sys2951.Caused By Address : pcx3003.sys+25e1
2957.Crash Address : pcx3003.sys+25e1
2958.Stack Address 1 : pcx3003.sys+2812
2959.Stack Address 2 : pcx3003.sys+2e43
2960.Stack Address 3 : frg3008.sys+7374

So does this mean I should try to look into those specific files? I'm not very familiar with troubleshooting windows problems such as this as the normal solution is to just replace the hardware instead of spending hours trying to find the problem but this seems to be one of those rare cases.

If I can find out what those files relate to and/or control would that help to investigate further?

Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated, thank you for all your help.

Edited by hamluis, 17 February 2012 - 10:06 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

I really can't tell you any more than I have...the only thing your errors point to is "hardware" which is a very broad category and impossible for me to troubleshoot, particularly so the more atypical variables enter the situation.

I can move this to a different forum dealing with hardware issues and the personnel there may have more clues than I do. That may not be the correct forum but this does not seem like an XP issue at all.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 February 2012 - 10:13 PM.

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:59 AM

The output from BlueScreenView in this instance is not overly helpful, so we have a good case for gathering some more information. Please do the following steps and I will have a look at the information and see if I can shed some light on your BSOD issue.

:step1: Download the following 2 files and save both to the My Documents folder:

:step2: Go to the My Documents folder and run #1 (BSOD_XP_v1.3_jcgriff2_PROD_.exe). (That will also run #2.)

It will take a little time to complete: Please be patient and wait for it to finish.
A new folder named TSF_XP_Support will be created in My Documents.

:step3: Zip up the newly created TSF_XP_Support folder.
  • Right-click on the TSF_XP_Support folder > Send to ... > Compressed (zipped) Folder.
  • The newly created zip file will be located in the My Documents folder.

:step4: Please upload the zip file to a file sharing website of your choice and and post a link to it in this thread so that we can access your uploaded zip file.

Note: The BC forums will allow a total attachment size of only 512 kb (and what you need to attach will exceed this limit).
See the suggestions in the following links for recommendations on file sharing websites:
  • http://lifehacker.com/388284/best-online-file-sharing-services
  • http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/15-great-free-online-file-sharing-alternatives/
  • http://www.smashingapps.com/2008/08/28/5-best-free-file-hosting-services-to-store-your-files.html

:step5: Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, and post a link to it in this thread.
  • It is a convenient and accurate way of providing us with details of your computer specifications.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#10 RobartGilbert

RobartGilbert

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:58 AM

Hi tripflex,

When booting and Windows is showing a black screen with a blinking white cursor only, this usually is an indication that the bios is "looking" for a boot device. In this case I would still replace the CMOS battery. Can you get into the bios? If so, make sure the first boot device is the hard drive for now. Laptops are usually set for first boot device to be the CD/DVD drive...
Download the hard drive manufacturers diagnostic tool to create a bootable CD or DVD. You will boot from the CD/DVD drive, and follow the instructions.

Thanks | see if this helps

Edited by hamluis, 28 March 2012 - 10:19 AM.
Corrected OP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users