Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Give me a general idea? (gaming computers)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CalusBlade

CalusBlade

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

Yea so I need to know some good brand names of gaming hardware. I remember Corsair is one of them. What kinda mother board should I look for. Been hearing some mother boards crash due to poor decision making.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RunsWithSporks

RunsWithSporks

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

I build a good amount of systems and have had success with the following brands.

Intel for CPU's
Gigabyte for motherboards
Corsair or OCZ for RAM
Western Digital for HD
Intel for SSD
EVGA for GPU
Seasonic or OCZ for PSU
Zalman for cooling
Rosewill for cases
Samsung or LG for burners

Good luck

#3 Tim the Wizard

Tim the Wizard

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

I build a good amount of systems and have had success with the following brands.

Intel for CPU's
Gigabyte for motherboards
Corsair or OCZ for RAM
Western Digital for HD
Intel for SSD
EVGA for GPU
Seasonic or OCZ for PSU
Zalman for cooling
Rosewill for cases
Samsung or LG for burners

Good luck

I like AMD for CPU's
ASUS or ASRock for motherboards
G.Skill for RAM
OCZ for SSD
Seagate for HDD
Antec for PSU
Zalman for cooling
ANtec for cases

My preference in Video cards changes often so I shouldnt remark there.

#4 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

thanks guys, this will help me alot.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:21 AM

For me...

AMD or Intel for CPU's (Duh) - It really depends on what you're doing.
Asus, Gigabyte, or MSI for motherboards
Corsair, Mushkin, Kingston, and Patriot for memory
Intel or Samsung for SSD's
Western Digital for HDD's
Corsair, Silverstone, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Sparkle Computer for PSU's
Xigmatek or Arctic Cooling for cooling
XFX, Diamond Multimedia, eVGA, Galaxy, HIS for GPU's - Note: There aren't many differences between manufacturers with reference designs.
Lian Li, Silverstone, and Coolermaster for cases

These are just suggestions and are preferred brands, not a must-have list.

3939.png

#6 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:42 AM

Wait. . .I know what motherboards, and memory is. I believe HDD is the Hard Drive but whats SSD? is it sound system device, the sound card/speakers?

PSU I belive is power supply unit, the plug in part. GPU is the prossessor, speed of the computer?

#7 RunsWithSporks

RunsWithSporks

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:29 AM

HD - Hard Drive (large traditional SATA, used for storage when SSD is present)
SSD- Solid State Drive (smaller drive due to price, boot drive where OS and key programs are loaded) Extremely fast load times!
GPU- Graphics Processing Unit (video card)
PSU- Power Supply Unit
CPU- Central Processing Unit

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:03 AM

HD - Just an acronym for hard drive.

HDD - Hard Disk Drive, usually refers to the large spinning drives. Traditional hard drives have platters that spin at high speed with a head that reads data. This is somewhat slow, but allows for very large capacities. Like anything mechanical it has a finite lifespan of about five years.

SSD - Solid State Disk, a type of hard drive that doesn't use spinning platters but NAND flash memory. This is the kind of memory found in USB drives. It has no moving parts and lasts a long time. They are also quite fast but are also expensive at $1 to $2 per gigabyte.

GPU - Graphics Processing Unit, either an add-in card or integrated with the CPU/motherboard that provides graphics. These vary in capabilities and speeds, from something so basic it just barely outputs an image, to something that costs several hundred dollars that puts out 3D images on multiple monitors with all kinds of neat graphical options.

CPU - Central Processing Unit, the Intel or AMD unit at the heart of the motherboard processing everything. See also, Athlon, Phenom, i7, Pentium, FX.

ODD - Optical Disc Drive, a DVD player or Blu-Ray.

PSU - Power Supply Unit, think of this as the beating heart of the PC, providing power to everything. It plugs into the wall.

3939.png

#9 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

One more question. If my power supply is too high, can it damage my computer? Let say my computer does not have a degrated video card so it doesn't really require any power at all and I get a 700 watt power supply, will it damage my computer?

I am planning on getting the new radeon graphic card when it comes out.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:39 AM

The new Radeon graphics cards are out, the 7970, 7950, 7770, and 7750. The only ones not out are the 7870 and 7850, along with the lower end sub-7600 cards.. As for the graphics card and power supply question, no. The graphics cards, and the rest of the system, will only draw as much power as needed. However, if your system had a low capacity power supply but a very demanding graphics card, that would be an issue as the system would probably shut down. A quality 700W power supply is more than enough for any graphics card on the market.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users