Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Curser jumps position while typing text

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rickydoo63

Rickydoo63

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

Hello All,
I'm having an issue when typing text. It occurs when typing emails in Google and when typing in Word documents. It happens whether I'm connected to the Internet or not. As I type, the position of the cursor jumps positions, either to a previous point in the text (which results in text being inserted at this earlier point in the doc) or it jumps out of the text window compeltely (i.e. while typing an email or on Facebook). Does this sound like a familiar virus problem? what can I do?
Thanks
Rick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

One cause of that is using a laptop with a touchpad.

I have to disable my touchpad and use a mouse as I keep hitting the touchpad and having the exact same symptoms.
On this Toshiba I'm using now FN + F9 toggles the touchpad, Other brands and models can be different.

OTOH if you are using a desktop ignore...............

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 pink-stars

pink-stars

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

I have to disable my touchpad and use a mouse as I keep hitting the touchpad and having the exact same symptoms.
On this Toshiba I'm using now FN + F9 toggles the touchpad, Other brands and models can be different.

Cheers
Roger

I have the same problem as the OP also have a Toshiba. FN plus F9 doesn't work for me. I looked at the manual for shortcuts and hotkeys nothing. Do you know what a "cursor overlay" is says if you press FN plus F10 it will do so. What is that for?

#4 pink-stars

pink-stars

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

Rickydoo63 do you still have this problem I have it too. Sometimes it will highlight the words just typed also then delete it. Rare moments it will let me type without interruptions like just now but it goes back to doing it again.

#5 Coach Steve

Coach Steve

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:17 AM

As others have noted, the touchpad can really be a source of rectal discomfort sometimes - especially if the laptop in question is a slightly older Compaq or HP Business series system. In addition to the touchpad issues, they have an issue with the battery becoming very hot when the system is plugged-in and the battery is completely charged. The cursor REALLY becomes sporadic then! :hysterical: Major P.I.T.A.!!

#6 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:55 AM

Do the same symptoms occur in Safemode? Tap F8 key repeatedly during boot-up.

Check system manufacturer's web site for mouse/touch-pad driver updates.

Be sure that all Windows Updates are installed - www.update.microsoft.com

Also, if there is an off/on switch for the mousepad, turn it off & try an external USB or PS/2 mouse - see if the same problems occur.

The mousepads on some laptops are defisensitivere sensative than others and can easily be "set off" by keyboard vibrations.

Check mouse settings in CP -
START | type mouse

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

Cheers
Roger

I have the same problem as the OP also have a Toshiba. FN plus F9 doesn't work for me. I looked at the manual for shortcuts and hotkeys nothing. Do you know what a "cursor overlay" is says if you press FN plus F10 it will do so. What is that for?

Hi,
On mine the Function keys are marked to show their function when used with the Fn key. F9 for example shows a little picture of a mouse and a / mouse picture with a 0 with a slash through it to show the toggle effect. F6 & F7 show brightness up and down.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 akoch

akoch

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

If it isn't the manufacturer install of windows, you're using the default touchpad driver that windows offers. Usually the "synaptics touchpad driver" will solve that problem.

It's definitely touchpad related though.

#9 pink-stars

pink-stars

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:44 AM

If it isn't the manufacturer install of windows, you're using the default touchpad driver that windows offers. Usually the "synaptics touchpad driver" will solve that problem.

It's definitely touchpad related though.

I have the Synaptics Touchpad driver installed says it's working properly. Was reading "INS" key above my keyboard next to "DEL", "END/BREAK", I do
recall buttons that are on top of my keyboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users