Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed A New Motherboard, Cpu- Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gman32888

Gman32888

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:25 PM

Hey,
Just installed a new CPU and Motherboard for my mother but I Have one problem- The monitor does not come up. I have no idea what is wrong and I followed all instruction given to me. Please give me some ideas. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Gman32888

Gman32888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:28 PM

Heres some more informations
Using a Graphics card- Radeon 256MB- Tried plugging monitor into onboard video- Still nothing- I tried another monitor on the computer still no luck- Im thinking I put a wire in the wrong place? I have a power cord and IDE going into HD- Should that be enough( 2 total wires going into there? I wasthinking that maybe the load up screen isn't going on because of hardrive notbeing properly connected? I unplugged all the CDRWs, DVDs, and aside from that I have a 500 watt ATX power supply so there is no way that I am lacking power.
Thanks

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:34 PM

Do you have an AGP video card with its own memory or are you using an onboard video display adapter that is part of the motherboard?

Do you hear the hard drive powering up and fans running in the computer?

If it is booting, the monitor should come on - even if it is in 16bit basic mode. Make sure it has power coming to it (there will be a light on the front panel that will display either yellow, red or green after you use the switch on it to turn it on).

If you are using an AGP or PCI (seperate video card), did you disable the onboard graphics in the bios?

#4 Gman32888

Gman32888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:38 PM

I am currently using a PCI Radeon card- I have not seen the BIOS yet of this new motherboard so I cannot edit it. I tried plugging into both the onboard video and video card- The Monitor stays on standby.

In regards to the fans yes there running- the HD Led is plugged into the right slot so it shows on the HD red LED light that the HD is running as well but I cannot hear it because im using 3 fans inside the computer due to the AMD processor.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:42 PM

You need to look at the motherboard's manual and see if you have to disable the bios setting to install a seperate graphics card.

Take the pci graphics card out and connect monitor to the motherboard's monitor output connection.

Read the manual for your motherboard. If you need to disable the onboard graphics accellerator in the bios you should be able to access the bios on the boot-up. The onboard graphics should power the monitor.

Some of the PCI Graphics cards need to be connected to the power supply. Your power supply may have the extra connection needed, but in any case there should be an adapter that came with the graphics card that will allow you to tap a power connection that goes to a hard drive or disk drive that will still give you a connection for that device as well as supplying the graphics card.

After shutting down the computer and grounding yourself by touching the inside of the case, install the grapics card in a pci slot and plug the power cord into the correct place on the card. Read the install info for your graphics card.

Move the monitor cable to the graphic card's output. Boot the computer.

Once it boots install the appropriate drivers and control software that came with the graphics card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users