Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to troubleshoot intermittent slowdowns

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JustGuessing

JustGuessing

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

I have several separate Microsoft Windows Domains that I support. Most are individual Small Business Server networks (2003 and 2008) with fewer than 20 users each. None are being overtaxed or overutilized that I can see on the surface. But I constantly get complaints of intermittant slowdowns on the workstations. Office files taking over a minute to open. Slow Internet. Outlook not responding. Various complaints that don't seem to have any rhyme or reason. Typically the problem is not taking place when I'm at the workstation. Users are somewhat vague about what's happening and I'm at a loss as to how to troubleshoot something like this.

I have tried Foglight NMS, Process Explorer from Sysinternals and a few other tools, but they tend to tell me my network utilization is low and that my Event Log is clean.

Is there software that monitors the workstation and provides a pop-up when a process temporarily hogs resources? Norton Internet Security has a feature that provides a pop-up when a process exceeds a threshold. It's very user friendly - you don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand what it's saying. Is there a stand alone utility that does this? This way a user could write down the error or at least get a feel for what's going on behind the scenes?

I certianly know that users can be demanding. Maybe this is not a technical problem. Maybe this is just user expectations?

Thanks for your thoughts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 akoch

akoch

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

You can use windows performance monitor to view resource utilization.

Start -> Run -> perfmon

Click the green plus sign on the right pane to add a feature

replace <local computer> with \\computername and hit enter

choose what objects you want to monitor and add them to the right pane.

I personally choose report mode instead of graph.

What are the client PCs like?

Do you have any reason to believe that the systems themselves are just being overtaxed?

I manage ~50 PCs, mix of XP/7 -- Pentium4HTs or Core2DUOs all with 1-2GB DDR2. All they really run is outlook/office/ie/instant messaging though.

Are you using switches or hubs for network devices? (kind of a dumb question because idk if they even make hubs anymore)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users