Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop wont boot into Windows not even in Safemode.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Cephalon

Cephalon

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:18 AM

Hey Guys, I hope this is posted in the right forum. If its not then I am truly sorry! So I am back at it, with a different problem and a different laptop. I was attempting to fix my buddys from schools laptop for him, because I thought I could. Once again its not as easy as I thought. What I think it is... Is the boot sector is bad. Because the laptop won't load windows, It continuously restarts, wont even go into Safe mode. Restarts and then comes up with Repair. I have tried to Boot from Puppy Linux and from various windows boot discs and it will not boot from disc. It will not load any of them... Or it could be that the Disc in the machine has gone bad. The Laptop starts normally tried to load windows then restarts, then eventually it ends up with the repair option, (F8) menu basically. I am sorry I always take on these projects and then I always end up coming here to learn how to solve them. Its because Bleeping Computer is 5/5 in solving all my problems. (Austra Alien is Da Man!!!) But anyways I'm back for more. I want to believe this Laptop can be fixed. And Because the Laptop wont even start Windows I told him I could 'once again' wipe it and reinstall windows for him. (with his copy of course)

Background Info on the Laptop in question:

Toshiba Laptop. Satellite Series, Model# PSLB8U-079025

Currently Running Windows Vista (not sure on which one Haven't been able to log in)

Processor 2.16 GHZ

Total Memory 2048 MB

Bios Version 1.90

The Laptop does go into Bios.

Its a nice looking Laptop, its in great condition I can tell he really takes care of it. (maybe) So the machine will not boot into windows, it restarts instead. As soon as the windows loading logo comes up it flashes a blue screen then restarts and comes up with Launch Startup Repair screen. I have launched start up repair several times and nothing happens. Says cant fix the problem. I guess the main goal is to get the machine to boot from a disc. If it is a bad boot sector is that fixable? Or could it be that the Disc in the machine has just gone bad... But the PC wont load windows or Boot from Disc, it could be both.

Well I hope this is an easy fix. I'm prepared for the worst. Glad its not my machine, But Id like to be able to fix. Any advice would be perfect and thank you guys for all your help, especially Austra Alien!!!! Sorry for always bringing my problems here... I take these projects on because I love learning new things about PC's and I have learned sooooo much from you guys alone. Almost enough to teach a course on PC repair...

You guys are the best. Thank You

Oh Yeah and this is a different friends laptop than the Sony Vaio I did for my other friend last time I posted. That one by the way is perfect and running great. Still works 100% And I owe that one to Austra Alien he helped me so much. He basically fixed it :)

Edited by hamluis, 17 February 2012 - 04:40 PM.
Moved from External Hardware to Vista.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:30 AM

Have you tried booting Puppy from a USB flashdrive? Give it a shot: You probably already have the instructions for putting Puppy on a flashdrive.

Please do the following:

Get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Advanced Boot Options" menu screen.

Posted Image
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
  • Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.

Posted Image
  • Record the error message details (contained in the areas outlined in red, in the above example image), and post in your reply.
Note: The first image above is from XP, but the Vista menu is similar.

Edit: I might ask for this topic to be moved from the External Hardware forum ... to the Vista forum.

Edit2: "Toshiba Laptop. Satellite Series, Model# PSLB8U-079025"
That would be a Toshiba Satellite L305-S5921: Please confirm.

Edited by AustrAlien, 17 February 2012 - 05:45 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

Just in case F12 is the Boot Device menu.

Start Pressing F12 when the Toshiba logo appears.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:20 AM

Hey Austra, I am so sorry I havent responded in awhile after I made this post. I feel really bad about it. I thought I had another week before Test time in college, but it was Last week, so I did not have time to work on this machine. But tests are over for first quarter. So I have time to work on this machine. AGAIN I AM SO TERRIBLY SORRY, I DID THIS TO YOU AGAIN.... Make a post and disappear for a week or 2, I am really sorry. I am going to be around the next few days and since first quarter tests are done, I now have time to work on this machine....

Anyways I have good news, when I hit F12 it took me into boot menu and it let me boot puppy!!!! I am not sure what to do from here... I can still disable automatic restart, and give you what you asked for in the previous post. I will do that now and leave it in my next post. I am so sorry that I havent responded in the last two weeks. I got swamped with school work. But I promise I will not disappear again. I really do appreciate all the help you have given me in the past. I felt so bad about not being able to respond.

So as of right now I am in Puppy Linux on the Machine, and Puppy is running good. I will go ahead and disable automatic restart and leave the response in my next post. We just want to wipe it again and start fresh. I love learning new things on the PC and you have taught me so much in the past. If I have to make a new post in Vista forums I can do that. Thank You again! And so sorry for not responding till now.

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:23 AM

No worries at all.

I was wondering where you had got to .... ? Hit by a bus?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#6 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:34 AM

Okay after disabling automatic restart on system failure I get this blue screen:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:
Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.
technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0x80399BB0, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

And when I restart it keeps going to the TOSHIBA LOGO, I never could get to a screen like the one in your last post, the only screen I got to was the one I posted now. I did this twice, "disable restart" and it keeps trying to load windows and going back to the TOSHIBA LOGO,

I did hit F12 and was able to load Puppy.

#7 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:36 AM

LOL I bascially got hit by a bus. A bus with 3 exams and 2 quizes lol. No fun. I took my Math exam tonight (just finished) and it felt like a Bus ran over my head.

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:39 AM

Are you booting Puppy with a CD or with a flashdrive?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:43 AM

I got it to boot from CD, because my only flash drive is in use atm. I put the CD in and hit F12 during start-up and it let me boot Puppy, It looks like there is 3 different partitions SDA0, SDA1 and SDA2.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

Excellent. The hard drive is showing OK

Have a visitor: Back later.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:51 AM

No worries at all. Ill be around tonight and the next couple days. So whenever is best for you :)

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:50 AM

You know the drill ... now that you can boot with a CD, test the hard drive (always the first step). I'm sure we've been through/done that before on the other job and you will have the bootable CD (SeaTools?). Let us know the result.

My dinner time now.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:04 AM

sweet :) Im testing the disc now, short test and long test. In my next reply I'll post the results. :) Thank You again for your help. Enjoy your dinner.

#14 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:15 AM

Okay as I expected it to... The seagate tools found errors, It failed short test and it failed long test. Found 81 errors. I was asking the guy what happened when his laptop stopped working, and he said that he was copying info from his external to his laptop and it got stuck so he restarted it without finishing copying the files off his external hard drive, So I had a pretty good feeling it would not pass the hard drive tests.

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:21 AM

Are there any personal files on the problematic laptop that the owner would like to have recovered?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users