Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Several Problems, Tried everything

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hobobuster

hobobuster

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:06 AM

Okay. So. I have Windows Vista 32bit, using a 3mbps connection, and I never used to have a problem with it. Lately, however, I have had a few roommates move in who have really effed it up. I've run ASC5pro a few times, done plenty of system scans, etc, but I don't know what to do anymore. It runs slow, and I get crazy latency spikes in any game I play. I have contacted my ISP, and it's not them... I think my computer is either infected or there is something wrong with my hosts file. My hosts file seems filled with some things that shouldn't be there, but I'm not sure. Also, a ton of stuff sees to be clogging it up.

Anyways, what can I do? I am willing to do anything that doesn't cost moneys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 balon

balon

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:43 AM

Hi there!

Welcome and I will assist you unless a moderator or malware response team person takes over.

Step 1 (Required)

Let's get started!

First since you say your hosts file is all messed up; lets run this...

Microsoft FixIt

Within that program you will be able to reset your hosts file.

Step 2 (Optional)

Next...

Lets see how your system security is.

Run Security Check

And post a log here...

Edited by Balon, 17 February 2012 - 08:44 AM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

Please follow the instructions provided in How to reset the hosts file back to the default. An alternate link can be found here. The link provided by Balon goes to the Fix it Solution Center but you may have a problem finding the correct one to use after that.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Posted Image and save it to your desktop.
  • Important!! When you save the mbam-setup file, rename it to something random (such as 123abc.exe) before beginning the download.
  • Double-click on the renamed file to install, then follow these instructions for doing a Quick Scan in normal mode.
  • Don't forget to check for database definition updates through the program's interface (preferable method) before scanning.
  • If you cannot update Malwarebytes or use the Internet to download any files to the infected computer, manually update the database by following the instructions in FAQ Section A: 4. Issues.
Malwarebytes may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • After completing the scan, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab .
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows the database version and your operating system.
  • Exit Malwarebytes when done.
If Malwarebytes encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally will prevent Malwarebytes from removing all the malware.

Note: A 14-day trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO is available as an option when first installing the free version so all users can test the real-time protection component for a period of two weeks. When the limited time period expires those features will be deactivated and locked. Enabling the Protection Module feature again requires registration and purchase of a license key that includes free lifetime upgrades and support. If you continue to use the free version, there is no requirement to buy a license...you can just use it as a stand-alone scanner.

I get crazy latency spikes in any game I play

Some video cards can generate CPU spikes (and intense heat) while playing games with high quality graphics which can cause a variety of issues.

IMPORTANT NOTE: In many cases gaming sites are a security risk which can make your computer susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. They can lead to other sites containing malware which you can inadvertently download without knowledge. Users visiting such sites may encounter innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and malicious Flash ads that install viruses, Trojans and spyware. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. For these reasons gaming sites can put you at risk to fraud, phishing and theft of personal data. Even if the gaming site is a clean site, there is always the potential of some type of malware making its way there and then onto your system. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be successfully cleaned or repaired. In those cases, recovery is not possible and the only option is to reformat/reinstall the OS.

...Microsoft Security has issued a research report where it notifies that virus creators are continuously assaulting online video game players...a malicious family of software programs are seeking out popular online computer games such as World of Warcraft, Maple Story, Lineage and several others. According to Microsoft’s seventh Security Intelligence Report, cybercrooks use computer worm parasites for stealing confidential personal information from local computer users through online games, unsecured file sharing and removable disk drives...The most dangerous and prevalent malware involve Taterf and Conficker worms which have infected millions of computer systems worldwide...

Malware Makers Target Online Games to Spread Worms

Microsoft warned video game developers...that their PC games are now a target for criminals...Popular massively multiplayer online games, such as World of Warcraft, have created a market for valuable game identities...Using malware or software designed to infiltrate a computer system, hackers steal account information...

Microsoft warns game developers of cyber thieves

...Gaming sites are becoming a growth area for malware and other security threats. The newer threats are sophisticated and are designed to draw in unsuspecting users...

Game Sites Next Big Malware Target?

The design of online game architecture creates an open door for hackers...hackers and malware hoodlums go where the pickings are easy -- where the crowds gather. Thus, Internet security experts warn game players that they face a greater risk of attack playing games online because few protections exist....traditional firewall and antimalware software applications can't see any intrusions. Game players have no defenses...Online gaming sites are a major distribution vehicle for malware....

MMO Security: Are Players Getting Played?

...Moral of the story?
1. Do not allow online games
2. Block ports used by online games
3. Block sites related to these online games
4. Educate your users...

online game + online trade = Trojan Spy

Security researchers...poked around in World of Warcraft and other online games, finding vulnerabilities and exploiting the system using online bots and rootkit-like techniques to evade detection...Some Trojan Web sites have done what they can do to collect gamers' authentication information so they can loot their characters (and) accounts.

Real Flaws in Virtual Worlds: Exploiting Online Games

...a very significant release for Gamers everywhere with the addition of a variety of password stealers directly targeting Online games. The main targets are mostly based in Eastern Asia (Lineage Online, Legend Of Mir, ZT Online just to name a few), but World of Warcraft and Valve’s Steam client are high on the hit-list too...

Taterf – all your drives are belong to me!

Using gaming sites is almost a guaranteed way to get yourself infected!!
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 hobobuster

hobobuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:18 AM

I apologize it has taken me so long to respond. I will start with the steps you have given me tonight. Thank you.

And I appreciate your explanation of the online game threat, however, I am a game designer myself, and in many ways having access to online games is conducive to my research, and I tend to stay away from anything that may be harmful. In fact, I really only play one game, and have kept quite an eye on what comes in through it. It did have a few problems which I addressed with the developers, and they immediately caught it and patched it.

Unfortunately I will continue to use gaming sites, but I will keep a closer eye on them and not go to fishy sites...

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

I understand.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif