Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mighty Max Infection --I Think

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Char02

Char02

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

From the begining. This computer was running Viata Home Premium, it crashed, new hard drive was installed and a card to make it wireless. I was able to run a full backup, just prior to hard drive bitting the dust. I got the unit back and found that the back up that was ran was reloaded,but when I tried to open the files, non of the extentions could be found. Works was installed on my version of Vista, so I used it. As I tried to open numerous files .WPS another .WKS one after one, it seems as if all of the extentions I had before were gone. I also went into "Control Panel" Computer" "Programs" Program Defauts" "Set Associations" to see the extentions. None of what I needed are listed. Tried again to open the file, to get the buttons to pop up again. Did not know where to go at this point. The buttons offered two options. Option one: Do you want to use extentions loaded on this computer? Second option: Do you want to check the iternet for extention updates?. I clicked on the button to get updated extentions. (Wording may not be exact,sorry) Clicking this button was a big mistake. The extention I was looking for was .wks, it took me to a Microsoft Works site. Or, at least it said Microsoft at the top of the page. At the bottom of the page it had 4 applications listed and the Mighty Max listing had the Title next to it saying "RECOMMENDED" to fix extention errors. Use this program to fix all of your extention errors. So I down loaded it and after I down loaded it, it THEN asked for money for it $35.00 dollars. I immediately went to my Uninstall Program location and Uninstalled the program. As it was un-intalling I get warning from my AVG saying it had found and quarnteened Rogue Malware. I looked at the log and found one item. I then got a pop up from the bottom of my screen saying Warning. It went down quickly and a second pop up came up saying "Warning 802 Warning" RESCAN REPAIR". So I thought I missed something went back to the Uninstall page and it was still there. So I Uninstalled again. And this time, AVG caught it again and said It had caught Rouge Malware PC Might Max. I checked the AVG log again and there was a second item, thought it came from a different place in the computer. I thought I had finally gotten it out of my pc, but now it continues to have those Pop ups from PC Mighty Max warning me with the same code of 802. Now it seems as though my pc (back from the shop for a whole two days, when I pulled this mess)is running slower than when I first got it back.

I down loaded HI Jack this and ran it and it found nothing. On advice from a friend, I also down loaded Spyware Doctor (both from the internet) and it found nothing either. I had purchased Trend Titanium and loaded it on my pc and ran it, and it found nothing. I ran full scans on each program. So I am really sorry for doing such a dumb thing.

I do not know if this has anything to do with this our not, but, a lot of the files that I had backed up say that the "File is Empty" or is in a completely different area than they were saved in in the first place. The back up program I used was what ever Vista had installed on it. Because every once in a while a little light on the task bar would blink and say "It is time to run a full back up" so I would put in a DVD and follow the prompts from there. I never had to use the backups, so I have no idea if what I have now is how it was written in the first place to the disk, or if this PC Mighty Max thing has mixed up all of the files from the Vista program.

After reading some of the items in these forums, I felt, I should do no more until you tell me what you want me to do, if anything.

Any help you may be able to give me will greatly be appreciated. And, if you cannot help me, I understand.
Thanks in advance.
Char02

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:07 AM

Hello Char.. you have multiple issues here. It would be difficult to hit this willy nilly..
so to do this safely repost this with the logs from this guide in a new topic. We can then see everythong and straighten it out.

Please go here....Preparation Guide ,do steps 6-9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If GMER won't run skip it and move on.

Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Char02

Char02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

Hi Boopme, I appreciate the information. I am answering this from a different PC (mylittle Laptop). Added issues on my desktop that has the problems, is when I try to us it (wake up from sleep), I open Internet Explorer and go to the open tab type in Bleepingcomputer.com and it locks up my pc. The little circle continues turning, forever, and if I try to go to the x and close the window, or start button, or any button, I get a grayed out screen and at the top of the screen I get a Internet Explorer is not Responding". The little circle keeps turning, and if you let it sit, it will stay that way forever. The only way to stop it is to power off using the power button. And, that is why I haven't gotten back with you for 9 days. I will try the unit again. Hopefully I can do as you requested.

Also, If I get that far, do I follow your request and then post it here and then copy the entire post and repost it in the other forum?? Please let me know. Thanks alot for all of your help, and, again so sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Char

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

If it works just include this link to here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic442952.html/page__pid__2612543#entry2612543

If you still cannot boot post back here.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Char02

Char02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:02 PM

Boopme... I can't thank you enough. After one power off (using the power button) I was able to follow the instructions you gave me. You are the greatest. Thanks for the patience. And as per step #8, since I have a 64-bit pc, I did not run the GMER log.

I hope everyone that helps me from here is as nice as you. Have a great evening, and thanks for being willing to help out people like me. That seems to get themselves into trouble without really trying.

Be good and have a great day tomorrow!!
Char

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

Sounds great, yes your next helper will be almost as good as me :hysterical:

Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRL Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

The current wait time is 1 - 3 days and ALL logs are answered.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users