Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

weird pop-up when typing in google search bar

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 k.campbell

k.campbell

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:28 PM

so, this started happening maybe 2 months ago, I don;t remember if I did something different or if it spontaneously happened. But anyways, when I'm on google's homepage, and I start to type in the search bar, once I've typed a couple words an odd pop-up window shows up asking me to save a file (refer to the attached pic). On top of this, it will open up multiple windows showing the same pop up. I'm not certain but it may open one window per word typed. It doesn't happen every time either (of course..). but maybe you guys can help.

Browser: Firefox v.10.0.2
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L670 Customized
Mfg part#: PSK3AU-055014
RAM: 8GB Dual-Channel DDR3
CPU: Intel i5 CPU M460@2.53GHz
Motherboard: Toshiba NALAA (CPU)
Storage: 488GB Toshiba MK5065GSX
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics (Integrated)
Sound Card: Intel Display Audio
Firewall: Windows Firewall

Posted Image

Edited by k.campbell, 16 February 2012 - 11:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crashoveride420

Crashoveride420

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:26 AM

Hello...do you have the add-on downthemall or something to that nature. I have herd of a problem with a firefox add-on causing problems trying to download unwanted stuff. You can check your add-on through tools, and add-on's. Just a thought.

#3 k.campbell

k.campbell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:12 AM

Hello...do you have the add-on downthemall or something to that nature. I have herd of a problem with a firefox add-on causing problems trying to download unwanted stuff. You can check your add-on through tools, and add-on's. Just a thought.

No I don't use that add-on, never heard of it actually.

I completely forgot to include which add-ons I currently have installed and enabled (duh!). Here's the list of currently installed AND enabled add-ons:

Adobe Acrobat 10.1.1.33
RealPlayer HTML5VideoShim Plug-In (32-bit) 15.0.2.72
Shockwave Flash 11.1.102.55
LavaFox V1 1.3.7 --> Appearance add-on
Adblock Plus 2.0.3
FastestFox 4.7.7
NoScript 2.3
RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin 15.0.2
Vertical Toolbar 0.2.6

If you need a list of disabled plug-ins, I can provide that too.

#4 Crashoveride420

Crashoveride420

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

Try disabling your fastest fox and see if that works. JSON is simply a java script object notation, so it is not malware or virus related. Annoying but not deadly. It has to be one of your add-on's, the only question is which one. From what i have seen there can be more than one type causing the problem.

#5 k.campbell

k.campbell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:17 PM

Try disabling your fastest fox and see if that works. JSON is simply a java script object notation, so it is not malware or virus related. Annoying but not deadly. It has to be one of your add-on's, the only question is which one. From what i have seen there can be more than one type causing the problem.

Ok, I disabled it and am trying to replicate the problem. So far so good. But I'll give it a day or two just to make sure. I'll post back with the results.
Thank you for your help!
K.Campbell

#6 k.campbell

k.campbell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

So I disabled fastestfox and I haven't had a pop-up since. I think that must be the issue. No big deal though, I just removed it. Thank you for the help guys!
K.Campbell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users