Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The FBI Might Cut Off the Internet For Millions of People on March 8th

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

http://gizmodo.com/5885716/the-fbi-might-cut-off-the-internet-for-millions-of-people-on-march-8th

...That's where the Internet shutdown comes in. The FBI has a court order allowing it to set up temporary replacement DNS servers so that those with infected computers or networks can get the worm off of their systems. The court order, however, expires on March 8th. Unless that order gets extended, anybody who hasn't cleaned up their act before it expires, might get cut off from the Internet altogether.

Luckily, it turns out kicking DNSChanger is manageable—as long as you know you've got a problem. To learn more about checking your computer or network for the Trojan check out the DNS Changer Working Group and the FBI.

More @ link.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

HI,I believe this has been changed to july 9th.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

This appears to be accurate for the July timeframe.

http://www.examiner.com/article/fbi-warns-dnschanger-virus-may-disrupt-internet-service-for-millions-july

and

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57418276-83/web-could-vanish-for-hordes-of-people-in-july-fbi-warns/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 DDDuster

DDDuster

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

So the government wants to scan our computer to see if it's not infected? Is that what I'm understanding?

#5 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

The link to check for this indicates that service is currently unavailable. Maybe too many people are trying to access. Is there a manual way to check for this potential problem?

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

Is there a manual way to check for this potential problem?

I found this from ESET: http://blog.eset.com/2012/04/21/dns-changer-relived-new-deadline-9-july-2012

Use the ESET Online scanner.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

The link to check for this indicates that service is currently unavailable. Maybe too many people are trying to access. Is there a manual way to check for this potential problem?

The FBI also has a lookup form on its website. You can type in the IP address of the DNS server configured on your machine to find out if it is one of the malicious ones identified by law enforcement authorities. The .PDF document available at the FBI site also explains how to manually check your DNS:
Posted Image

Edited by Union_Thug, 23 April 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#8 mcc-tech

mcc-tech

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

interesting I followed the link provided by union thug and clicked on the link on that page to "checkup site" and it disabled my network.

Edited by mcc-tech, 25 April 2012 - 06:57 PM.

#9 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

I'm not finding the phrase "checkup site" nor a link labeled as "checkup site" on any of the pages Union_Thug linked to in either post. Perhaps you're not landing on the correct page?

#10 mcc-tech

mcc-tech

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

Sorry meant the Cleanup site that it links to... it just said loading for a long time then said that palemoon was in offline mode and when I checked network it said my connection was disabled... re-enabled and it worked fine again... haven't tried link again

---edit---

Reread it and it was the check dns button which the text calls the "checkup site" and if you fail that click the cleanup site... but when I clicked the check dns button it just sat till it finally said my browser was in offline mode. I have done a virus scan and get nothing... when I checked to see if I could compare dns this computer is set to automatic obtain so it doesnt list any ip address

Edited by mcc-tech, 25 April 2012 - 08:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users