Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good free protection?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 YesImOtto

YesImOtto

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

Hello

I found some great links here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic366982.html

But it was last updated in June.

Does anybody know of good online scanners? Just want to make sure. I currently have MBAM, SuperAntiSpyware and AVG. What else do I need?

And how can I take better care of my laptop other than antivirus? Disk defragment etc, what is it?(I heard disk defrag is good but I have no idea how to use it and what its for).

Basically , looking for ways to take better care of my laptop.

Thanks guys

EDIT: Plus I dont think I have a good firewall....how do I know if I have one? If not, what is a good firewall that is free?

Edited by sumosalad, 16 February 2012 - 11:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:27 PM

Take a look here as well: Answers to common security questions: Prevention & Choosing an Anti-virus or Firewall

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 YesImOtto

YesImOtto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

Thank you
I have also heard to have only 1 antivirus at any time (MBAM, Super Antispyware). What is wrong with having 2 or more? I currently have MBAM Super and AVG. IS this...bad? Experienced people here seem to recommend both MBAM and Super at the same time.

As for firewall, is my Windows 7 firewall good enough? Or do I need extra protection?

Edited by sumosalad, 16 February 2012 - 11:39 PM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:24 AM

You should only have one active Antivirus. Otherwise they compete for processor usage or may see each other definitions as a threat. Same with antimalware applications. Only one should be active. The others should be on demand only. I personally have MBAM Pro as my active and SuperantiSpyware on demand only.

With a good AV and a good anti-malware application your Windows 7 firewall should suffice for normal browsing using the techniques suggested. If you are using a router in your setup even better.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 YesImOtto

YesImOtto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:42 AM

Thanks animal

May I ask what anti malware application is? I have MBAM and SAS at the moment. And AVG.

Was going to download Avast! but I guess I have enough already lol :P

#6 danielpunk

danielpunk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:04 AM

I would recommend Avast more than AVG. Its free and it's program and virus update are done easily.I have used Avast and AVG both and would prefer Avast more.

For more info:
http://www.techyv.com/article/5-best-antivirus-software

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:23 AM

May I ask what anti malware application is? I have MBAM and SAS at the moment. And AVG

MBAM and SAS are anti-malware (anti-spyware) programs while AVG is an anti-virus.

Anti-virus and Anti-spyware (anti-malware) programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and malware detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. In simplistic terms, an anti-virus program will focus on viruses, worms and Trojans while an anti-spyware program tends to focus more on spyware, adware and PUPS (potentially unwanted programs)?. However, there can be some overlap in functionality and detection features depending on the program's scanning engine, how the vendor defines a specific threat and what Naming Standards are used. Some vendors also add a modifier or additional information after the name that further describes what type of malware it is.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 YesImOtto

YesImOtto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

Ah, ok Now I get the difference between antivirus and anti spyware/malware.

So, I have MBAM SAS and AVG, I think this is ok.

So, like animal said if I browse safely and with these protections along with my windows 7 firewall I should be safe.

Now....for non virus-related things, what should I do? Is disk defragment compulsory? What else do I need to do apart form virus related things, in order to improve the security, and also clean my laptop?

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:29 AM

I would also recommend using SpywareBlaster which is a program that restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites by adding a list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to the browser's "Restricted Sites Zone". SpywareBlaster also prevents the installation of ActiveX-based malware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software amd blocks tracking cookies. It can be used with Internet Explorer and any browsers that use the Internet Explorer engine such as AOL web browser, Avant Browser, Slim Browser and Maxthon (formerly MyIE2) and provides protection for Mozilla Firefox, Netscape, Seamonkey, and Flock. SpywareBlaster is not intrusive as it does not run in the background. It only requires installation and then enabling of all protection. After that you only have to check periodically for database updates using the built-in "Check for Updates" feature and then enable all protection again. For more information, see SpywareBlaster System Requirements & Supported Browsers.

If you are not sure how to use SpywareBlaster, please refer to the How to use SpywareBlaster to protect your computer tutorial. In addition to explaining how to use the tool, the tutorial covers other built-in tools and features.

Is disk defragment compulsory?...also clean my laptop?

There are a lot of tips and suggestions provided in Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware.

#10 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

Basically , looking for ways to take better care of my laptop.

Do you make regular backups? They are important to recover from a disaster, including but not limited to malware infections.
The easiest way to get started is to get an external USB harddisk of at least the size of your laptop harddisk.
Do you use Windows 7? It comes with a backup program.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#11 YesImOtto

YesImOtto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

So other than malware/virus protection, what other things can I do? I still do not know if disk defrag is a must or not?

Basically to take care of my computer, thats all. Yes I backup the important folders.

What is dialers by the way?

Edited by sumosalad, 17 February 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

So other than malware/virus protection, what other things can I do? I still do not know if disk defrag is a must or not?

Basically to take care of my computer, thats all. Yes I backup the important folders.

There are a lot of tips and suggestions provided in Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware.

Do you make regular backups? They are important to recover from a disaster, including but not limited to malware infections.
The easiest way to get started is to get an external USB harddisk of at least the size of your laptop harddisk.
Do you use Windows 7? It comes with a backup program.

Listen to QM7 & Mr. Stevens, they know a little bit about computing lol.

From qm7's guide: The Importance of Disk Defragmentation

Edited by Union_Thug, 17 February 2012 - 09:54 PM.

#13 YesImOtto

YesImOtto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:19 AM

I have decided to run disk defrag.

So, other than disk defrag, antivirus/malware, is there anything else I can do for the well-being of my computer?

What is dialers by the way?

And....Quiteman7 gave me a really good addition to antivirus (SpywareBlaster). Do you have anymore things like this, QM7? Like, addition to the antivirus I already have? SpywareBlaster is really good, but just wondering if there are more additions to help better improve the security of my computer.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:51 AM

Spyware Dialers - Understanding Spyware, Browser Hijackers, and Dialers

#15 YesImOtto

YesImOtto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:55 AM

Thank you!

Final question is, if there is anything else I can do to improve my computer's security?

Thanks once more!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users