Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Access to my Desktop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 derek.ellis

derek.ellis

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

Hello out there Bleeping computer geeks,

Here is what i would like to try and do. I have two computers, a Desktop and a Laptop. My Desktop sits at home, while my laptop goes with me to school or anywhere else that i need it.

Now, i would like to see how i can set up my computers (or network?) so that i can access my Desktop files via my laptop online.
I want to try and carry as few files on the laptop as possible, such as if ever lost or stolen, i wont have my data or files compromised/stolen.
I also plan to install a SSD on the laptop, in order to try and make my battery last longer, but SSD's are still too expensive (i have a 250 HDD right now), I'm thinking of getting a 64GB SSD and trying to carry as few files as possible. Getting a 250 GB SSD is just way too expensive right now.

I'm looking out there for something that is free and simple to use.

I have heard that Windows has a thing called Remote Desktop Connenction, but i have tried to use it, but i never got it to work somehow. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:40 AM

Hi -
I have used a Free program called "Log Me In" that seems to work fairly well (link below) -
https://secure.logmein.com/AU/products/free/

#3 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

The program that I use is called TeamViewer. One nice thing is that you can create a VPN with it, so that you can share folders and files like you would on a LAN. That way you don't have to deal with using the remote desktop and just get straight to the files.

http://www.teamviewer.com

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users