Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU 50%+ RAM 37%+

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CoryD55

CoryD55

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

My CPU (Intel i7 2630QM) is running extremely hot and has a crazy high usage percentage.

I have 97 processes running - I feel like that is too much but I don't know what to get rid of.

ASUS Web Storage uses an insane amount of CPU. I am considering just removing it.

Suggestions? Let me know what info is needed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

What version of Windows?

What makes you think your issues are hardware issues...rather than O/S or malware issues...or that there are any issues at all?

Depending on application running...it's not unusual for CPU usage to reach near 100%...and 37% RAM usage may be normal, depending on what the system is doing.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 February 2012 - 11:46 AM.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

As Louis said 100% Cpu is not unusual when I'm working with Video for example. 37% memory usage is fine. I would expect to see CPU usage with only windows running to be around 1%.

The high CPU usage is contributing to your CPU temperature being high.

Can you disable the Asus webstorage temporarily and see how temps run then.

If the Laptop is running hot I would expect that the air being exhausted is hot?

Also make sure you are not blocking the cooling air intake. Typical on the bottom and therefore a laptop should never be set on anything but a hard surface so the feet on the bottom keep it up enough for airflow.

You might want to talk to Asus about the cooling problem since at 50% usage it is running hot. How hot would it be if you did something that ran the CPU at 100%? An example of that would be encoding video but not limited to encoding.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 CoryD55

CoryD55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:36 AM

As Louis said 100% Cpu is not unusual when I'm working with Video for example. 37% memory usage is fine. I would expect to see CPU usage with only windows running to be around 1%.

The high CPU usage is contributing to your CPU temperature being high.

Can you disable the Asus webstorage temporarily and see how temps run then.

If the Laptop is running hot I would expect that the air being exhausted is hot?

Also make sure you are not blocking the cooling air intake. Typical on the bottom and therefore a laptop should never be set on anything but a hard surface so the feet on the bottom keep it up enough for airflow.

You might want to talk to Asus about the cooling problem since at 50% usage it is running hot. How hot would it be if you did something that ran the CPU at 100%? An example of that would be encoding video but not limited to encoding.

Good Luck
Roger

Yea, it was running at 50% with no programs open (except the auto-startup stuff). I disabled the Webstorage process and it went down to about 25% so I went ahead and uninstalled ASUS Webstorage and all of its features - runs at 1-3% now. RAM is still about 35-40% usually - which I take it is still acceptable.

The temp is fine now - fan doesn't even come on unless I'm playing a game or doing something that uses a lot of CPU etc.

It kind of appalls me that ASUS would have a stock program that runs the CPU that much - all the time (it was continuously backing up every single file/folder/drive on my entire computer). I never used it anyway so I just took it completely off.

Thanks for the suggestions/help.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

Those new figures seem fine. 1 to 3% CPU is good. RAM at that level is fine, TBH I wouldn't be worried if it were higher than that.

The computer should be more durable not running hot. I'd also bet it is much more responsive than before. And who wants to be using the keyboard and touchpad when they are hot.

As for the ASUS program it is possible that it had some problem caused by something you installed. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have let it out the door acting like that.

As an example most computers seem to be fine with McAfee antivirus, every now and then it will use lots of CPU and slow down one computer but not others. Just the way things interact in Windows.

Glad it is working OK now.
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users