Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can connect to internet wirelessly, but not hard wired for some reason

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 K4lN5BHXlll

K4lN5BHXlll

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm having a problem connecting my PC (2005 Dell, WinXP) to the internet. I have two laptops, one is an HP (WinXP), and the other is a Toshiba (Win7). Both the laptops can get online wirelessly, but the PC, which is directly connected to the router, says it limited or no connectivity. So far, I have tried resetting the router, unplugging the router for 30 seconds and plugging it back in, and changing the IP address on the PC. None of that worked. I turned off the wireless settings on one of the laptops and plugged the router in. It said the same thing when it was plugged into the PC, limited or no connectivity. I am positive I am on my network when the laptops hooked up wirelessly. I just don't know if it's the router that's the problem because if it was, how am I connecting to it wirelessly? It's a Verizon router.
Anyway, I hope I am on the right forum spot for this. Could it be the network card in the Dell? I dunno. If no one knows, don't sweat it, I can call Verizon, I just don't feel like being on the phone with those people. My next step was to buy a new router and try that. Or just get a wireless card for the PC and connect through that, but that would just bandage the problem. I don't even know if I know what I am talking about.

Anyway,
Thanks in advanced
If you need more info, I will try and get it. I dunno if this is the serial number to the router, but here it is I think CSJE9272106265

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crashoveride420

Crashoveride420

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

Could it be a bad Ethernet cable or invalid ip address?? Does your ip address start something like 169.254???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users