Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I seriously have no idea wtf is going on!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Svetovid

Svetovid

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

Hey everyone, first off sorry if this is the wrong forum, it's just my best estimate as to what would be the most relevant forum to post in.

In about mid September I built my first computer. I got one solid state drive (OCZ vertex plus) and a western digital ATA drive (WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0).

Since then, I keep having to reformat and reinstall Windows 7 since seemingly random dll files keep vanishing off my hard drive. This has carried on through several clean formats/Windows installs. For instance this time around Windows picture viewer stopped working, and produces a message saying it can't find the corresponding dll. Or my taskbar locked itself, and is now unlockable. Occasionally these issues will revert back to normal.

The worst of this is a windows service which enables me to use the software i need for work (FLEXnet licensing service) cannot start, as in the system cannot find it. Last time a similar thing happened with direct x (some dll that enables it to work vanished). As I said these issues persist from clean windows install to the other.

I thought it was a virus that jumped on an external drive and then back to a fresh windows install, but I doubt viruses do the kind of stuff that is going on here (I've also run multiple virus/malware scans which came up with nothing, and I didn't detect any unauthorized services or processes running in the background).
I eliminated the possibility of corrupt RAM by running memtest. It found 0 memory errors.
I don't think SSD drives can really become "corrupt," so I don't think that's the issue.

What do you guys think? Could bad BIOS settings cause this? I seriously have no clue, but I'm ready to go on a killing spree if I don't resolve this soon!
Thanks all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 derek.ellis

derek.ellis

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

Are you sure that the Hardware is compatible with Windows 7?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

<<In about mid September I built my first computer. I got one solid state drive (OCZ vertex plus) and a western digital ATA drive (WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0). Since then, I keep having to reformat and reinstall Windows 7>>

Problems from the beginning would seem to point to some basic hardware problem...

Exactly how did you install Win 7...and is it a legal, valid install with license?

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When autoscan is done (screen comes up), click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 February 2012 - 11:20 AM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

Hi, Have you updated the firmware on that OCZ SSD, Which I assume is the boot drive?

OCZ has had many problems with their older firmwares on their newer SSD models. Many related to hibernation and Suspending.

I would visit their website and check their forums as well as update the firmware if you haven't already done that. I would also backup anything you would hate to loose on that drive before updating.

SSDs may not become ccorrupt but you could have gotten a bad one. It happens.
Talk to OCZ support, Who knows it could be a known issue that they have a fix for or that the drive needs replacement.

OCZ Support page http://www.ocztechnology.com/support

BTW to pin it down a little better what happens if you put Windows on that slow(er) Western digital drive?

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Svetovid

Svetovid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

derek.ellis:
Yes, the hardware is compatible with Windows 7.

hamluis:

The windows 7 copy is legal, I paid for it when I got my computer.

Here is the link to the speccy report: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/w0iPHKQ0MYw3nxjtW7clvt8

I haven't had any BSOD thus Blue Screen View came up with nothing

rotor123:
I have not upgraded the firmware, I will try that. I will dig around the OCZ site and try to contact the tech support. I did bring the hard drive into the store where I bought it and they diagnosed it and said it was fine.

I don't know what happens when I install windows on the WD, I guess that is going to have to be my next move.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users