Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU Overheating?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ThatGirl

ThatGirl

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:20 PM

System Specs:
ATX Mid Tower Top 120mm Fan
Foxconn A88GMV AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
500W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 Power Supply
AMD 3.2GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor
(4GB RAM)
24" Dell Monitor
****NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

Previous persistent issues with this computer:
SpeedFan (4.42) reports "Fan1: 28 RPM", or thereabouts. This issue has been happening since I built this computer (Early February of 2011), but the fans all look fine! I don't know which fan is "Fan1" but both my top fan and my cpu fan are doing fine. This is issue was before the current over heating problems and the graphics card (I was using onboard graphics previously). But I thought I should mention this anyway.

Current Issue:
Until this feburary I didn't play games on my desktop, mostly because I didn't have a graphics card. Over the summer though I dug through an old desktop I had and salvaged a NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT graphics card that I had in it, and I immediately popped it in this desktop. Over the summer I played MMOs for hours at a time and I had no trouble. After the summer I stopped playing MMO's though because I had moved back up to school and I was busybusybusy. But this semester things have calmed down and now I find myself playing League of Legends and Allods. But I can't play either game for more then two hours straight because my desktop will simply turn off. Speedfan tells me that my GPU is constantly over heated. I just opened my case and got all the dust I could out of it, and after having the computer on for 15 minutes with nothing but Skype, Speedfan, and Firefox running the GPU hovering at 131F (55C).

Obviously I need to replace this graphics card, not only is it extremely old and just a poor graphics card, but now its causing heating problems! (Though I've checked this fan too and its been looking fine? even though it's not listed in Speedfan. I don't know if it'll be better after I've gotten all that dust out, but I have little faith in it.

My real question here is; Is there anyway for me to prevent the overheating until I can afford to get a new graphics card? Would I have to just not play MMO's on here until I get it replaced? And most importantly, how much damage am I doing by letting it over heat?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

take the side panel off, and take a small room fan and put it blowing in. the internal bearing on the GPU fan could be going out, but it might not be the card at all-what PSU are you running (exact brand and model number) a overworked PSU can cause overheating problems, and is it just the graphics card overheating or is your system temp going up to?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 ThatGirl

ThatGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA-500D Green 500W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

The GPU temp goes up first, followed by the Core temp. So at its worst the GPU could be 200~degrees and the Core would be 140~Degrees (and then shutdown), which lead me to believe that it was just the GPU. The other temperatures don't vary much so it's hard for me to tell, especially when for some reason they are not accurately labeled in SpeedFan.

EDIT: I went ahead and got http://openhardwaremonitor.org/ and this lists both fans as going at pretty reasonable rates (1000+ RPM and <2000 RPM). It says that the GPU fan is going at 30% though, so I changed that to 100%? I don't know if it actually will make a difference though....

Edited by ThatGirl, 16 February 2012 - 09:06 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:06 PM

ya, that PSU looks like its more then beefy enough to handle it, I would suspect the cooling system to be failing on the graphics card. if your careful, its not usually to hard to replace the factory cooling with aftermarket cooling such as this or on the higher end this though it may be just as cheap to watch neweggs shell shocker and pick up a new card, and using a fan outside the case until then, the 8500 is kind of an antiquated card as it is.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

Hi

This may be a silly question but did you take the video card out to clean the dust out of it?

That is the only way I've seen that really works.

Sometimes depending on the manufacturers design there is a metal cover over the cooling fins that is held on with tiny screws. You need to be sure it is clean under there. Also be sure the fan spins freely and that you don't have card blocking the air flow into the video card.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users