Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Drops in Internet Connectivity

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 e2e

e2e

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

I am experiencing random disconnects from the internet and don't know what to do next.

My ISP is WOW!(cable) and I subscribe to their 15Mbps service. My network consists of a Motorola SB6121 modem, a D-Link DIR-655 router, 2 OBi 110 phone adapters and a Panasonic Blu-Ray player on the LAN side, with 2 laptops and 2 android wi-fi phones on the WAN side. The modem, router and OBis are all new (within the last couple of weeks).

When the internet disconnects, both the LAN & the WAN are affected, but I do not lose wireless connectivity with the router. Windows 7 troubleshooter returns a "DNS Server Not Responding" message (I did trying changing to OpenDNS, but that hasn't helped). When this happens, I am able to log into the router wirelessly but cannot access the modem. However, if I plug my laptop directly into the modem, I can connect to the internet, so it seems like the problem lies between the modem & the router.

The SB6121 was added just last week to fix some packet loss, latency & jitter issues with the old modem that were affecting my VoIP quality. Since the D-Link was initially behind the old modem, I did a reset back to the factory settings and then reconfigured it once it was connected to the new modem. The voice quality with the OBis is now great and I see no issues whatsoever now when I run speed and ping tests. However, I am still experiencing random disconnects about once or twice per day (these were happening with the old modem, too).

I should point out that this is the 4th router I've tried in the last month or so (after 2 Netgear WNDR3800s which didn't play well with the OBis and a Belkin N750DB which was defective). These other routers were all behind the old modem and I was also experiencing disconnects with all of them -- even more frequently.

There are a couple of other wireless routers nearby with fairly strong signals, but they appear to be running on different channels the last time I checked (I'm on 1, the others are on 6 & 11). My cordless phones are DECT 6.0, so those shouldn't be causing any interference. There's only one 2-way splitter ahead of the modem, so I also don't think bandwidth is an issue.

I don't know what to do next. The connection seems to drop regardless of what router/modem combination is in place. Is there possibly some configuration between the router and the modem I'm overlooking? Is this possibly some sort of erratic problem with the ISP signal? If so, shouldn't the modem & router be re-establishing connectivity automatically?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users