Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Run .exe Files

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mjcarmo

mjcarmo

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:30 PM

Hi All...

I''m only new here but desperate for some of the knowledge you fine people have.

Since trying to protect myself against pop-up and junk etc, I installed Microsoft Antispyware Beta, then removed it and since then I've had problems were I can't run any .exe file. Even running MS Office programs won't load.

I''m running XP Media Centre, 1GB ram and on a PIII.

Can any help, this is very frustrating?

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:56 PM

Were any error messages displayed when you tried to run applications?

#3 mjcarmo

mjcarmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 08:27 PM

Naaa, all that happens is the little timer icon apears nears the cursor for a second or two after you double click on the .exe file and then that''s it. You here the hard drive try and work but once the little hourglass timer icon disappears, everything stops. it''s odd...

#4 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 08:46 PM

Perhaps you would like to explain the process u did to remove the application?

Did you reset your computer after u remove it? :thumbsup:
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#5 mjcarmo

mjcarmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 08:58 PM

I installed the prgm, ran it twice and the decided I didn''t want it as it didn''t find any problems and went the add/remove prgms and deleted it. I didn''t restart the pc, well not straight away - a few hours later.

That''s the last prgm I could install. Since then the I can''t run any exe files. All the regular prgms [explorer, outlook] work fine but dowload a prgm and try and run a setup.exe and nothing happens.

I''ve looked around google and a common reply is that the registry files for need to be set but they haven''t changed...

Any idea''s, I''m lost!

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:13 PM

mjcarmo,
I've split off your HJT log from your post here, and moved it to the "HijackThis Logs and Analysis" forum.
That's the proper forum for it.
The HJT Team will look it over, and see if there are any malicious programs running, that could be causing your problems.

Here's a link to your log:
mjcarmo's HJT log

NOTE:
Please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 mjcarmo

mjcarmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:19 PM

No worries TG.....

Just trying to help you, help me... thanks for the heads up!

Cheers

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 12:08 AM

Do you have a system restore point that is dated before you deleted the Microsoft Anti-spyware beta?

If so, use it.

Did using system restore resolve your problem?

If so, think carefully before removing the MS anti-spyware beta again as it provides real time protection against myriads of types of malware, unauthorized registry changes, etc, in fact, I would suggest you update it to the new version, MS DEfender that was just released yesterday.

Edited by Enthusiast, 16 February 2006 - 12:09 AM.

#9 mjcarmo

mjcarmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:10 PM

Thanks for the advice, I thought it would work but alais... the computer wins again.

I tried to run the system restore but, like the many other times, it will not open the prgm. I click on system restore thru start - prgm-accessories - system tools and it makes a beep noise then goes back to the regular cursor and nothing happens. I''m begining to think a corrupt file because some prgms work but others refuse to load...

This is driving me mad.

Any more idea''s to run a system restore?

Thanks again...
Matt

Edited by mjcarmo, 16 February 2006 - 11:12 PM.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:27 PM

Try forcing it to open by using the task manager.

Ctrl/alt/del pressed at the same time.

#11 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 03:58 AM

I've found an .exe fix on the internet - Before we start we need to backup the registry. I recommend trying this more simple approach to backing up the registry.

1. Click Start /Run and type in "regedit" (no quotes).

2. Next, click the File menu, Export

3. Select a location from the resulting box and give your backup registry a
name. Something like:

Regbackup 02-17-2006. <-- I just put todays date.

:thumbsup: Just a quick note: by default, Windows backs up the registry when you shut down your machine. The above is probably best used for those (like myself) who are editing registry settings, such as we are about to do!

Now, Try downloading this regfix:

www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/exefix.reg

Save it to your desktop and double click on the file. It will merge and give a success message.

Reboot and try and open .exe's now - does it work>

David

Edited by D-Trojanator, 17 February 2006 - 07:23 AM.

#12 mjcarmo

mjcarmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 06:32 PM

Thanks D-Trojanator....

I did everything you suggested to the tee, I actaully did it twice.

But, alais, no success yet again.

I agree with your line of thought with it being a registry problem but the odd bit is that some prgms, the ones i use everyday work, it's only the prgms I haven't used for a while that refuse to co-operate.

For instance, MS Excel quickly flashes it logo after clickin on it but it pulls up stumps a fraction of a second later.

Do you know ways to do a system restore thats unconventional.... Enthusiast suggested forcing it thru ctrl-alt-del... where do you go from there?

Thanks for everyones help....
Matt

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:19 PM

Open the task manager (Ctrl/alt/del) and click add new task

Type the name of one of the aps that won't open.

Anything?

#14 mjcarmo

mjcarmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2006 - 06:24 PM

Thanks again for your help but the same thing happens, it flashes up then shuts down again.

Whats the name of the exe file for a system restore?... May be I could force that open... or can you do a system restore in safe mode?

Thanks
Matt

#15 mjcarmo

mjcarmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:41 PM

Just giving this a bump to see if anyone can help... please, i''m getting desperate..

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users