Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ginormous Pics Via e-mail

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sani-T-Capt1

Sani-T-Capt1

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

When I send pictures via e-mail, I am told that they are so large that the image sent to the recipients can't be viewed without them scrolling. This has to be very frustrating to them as scrolling an image makes it lose the effect and/or background. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
STC1
Either We Learn to Live Together as People, Or Die Apart as Fools !

Ignorance ISN'T Bliss, It's Just "IGNORANCE"!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ~Kal~

~Kal~

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:31 AM

Hi STC1

If your pictures are that large, they also may be causing problems with bandwidth etc - I know there's a limit on file sizes I can send through emails.

Best suggestion is to resize and resample them through an image editing software until they're small enough to be easily handled. I use firefox or photoshop which does the job easily, but whatever you've got available on your computer ie MC paint or whatever came bundled with your camera software would probably do the trick.

Kal
Kal
Please bear in mind I'm in the UK so our timezones may not always sync.
If I'm helping you and haven't replied within 24 hrs please send me a pm

#3 Sani-T-Capt1

Sani-T-Capt1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

Thanks Kal, I have a bunch of software on my systems, i just don't know how to use them. I go to e-mail, browse my pictures, attach whatever pics i am sending and BOOM complaints from the recipients...."Dad the pictures are to big to see" said my children, son you know i don't see everything on this screen, says dear old mom. yo, cousin what did you do shoot this as a panorama? you have me scrolling for days just to see the nose.......... AAAAAAAARGH, i'm thinking that the e-mail compresses the photos and sends what i see. I'm using a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W570 but something is getting lost in the sauce here :blink:

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

What applications do you have on your machine that are able to resize images? If you can give us that info, we can most likely walk you through the steps to resize your images before you send pictures.

Another option is to have an image hosting account like photobucket. That way you can just upload them and send the links in your email. They can view and decide to download them if they or not.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Sani-T-Capt1

Sani-T-Capt1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

Hi Animal, I have Adobe Photo Shop, PMB which came with the camera (I have no Idea what PMB stands for and that's just sad and pitiful LOL), Adobe Premier Elements, HP Photoshop Essentials and all Nero stuff, start smart, media-hub, and vision, and trust me when I tell you, I don't KNOW ANYTHING about these products except how to save my pics in the My Pictures folder :huh:

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

I don't have any of the fancy editing tools you have so I will let others chime in here who are more expert than I. As for PMB it stands for Picture Motion Browser and is by Sony who makes your Cyber-shot camera. It has editing features as well.

Info on PMB: http://vaio-online.sony.com/prod_info/software/picture_motion_browser/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Sani-T-Capt1

Sani-T-Capt1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

right now i'll take simple editing tools, the simpler the better. I want to send pics of my new grandson but don't want to hear the complaints :thumbup2:

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

You can do it with PhotoShop, but like many people, I find Irfanview quick and easy to use:

http://www.irfanview.com/

When you load an image into Irfanview, the resolution is shown in the bottom left-hand corner.

Ctrl-R or Resize/Resample on the Image menu lets you convert to a smaller size. Resample gets the least quality degradation.

Unfortunately you don't know what size will require the viewer to scroll, it depends on their screen. But you could try choosing a width of 1024 pixels and setting the "Preserve aspect ratio" option, and the automatic settings generally do the rest OK.

Save the image as a .JPG under a different name and email it off, see what they say about it.

The principle is the same with PhotoShop, but IrfanView makes it real easy.

Edited by Platypus, 17 February 2012 - 07:26 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:44 PM

A tutorial for using Irfanview to resize an image (with pictures, and a video :)):
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic65221.html
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

A tutorial

Neat-o!

Top 5 things that never get done:

#11 ~Kal~

~Kal~

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

Hey there

If you have photoshop, it's a pity not to use it. I use it myself and it isn't the easiest to pick up, but the stuff it can do is great, and if you stick at it, it becomes pretty easy after a while. Theres an easy to follow set of instructions on how to resize in photoshop here

But either way, the problem you're having is that the shots you are taking on your camera are large file sizes and while that's ok on your computer, via email its a problem both for restrictions on attachment size but also because they're just too big to be seen comfortably.

If you don't want to give photoshop a try, you can prbably resize it in windows paint.

A tip i'd give is once you've resized the image, save it under a different filename so you protect the original - if you ever want to print it off, the bigger the filesize the better the quality usually.

Alternatively, stick em all up on facebook...

Cheers

Kal
Kal
Please bear in mind I'm in the UK so our timezones may not always sync.
If I'm helping you and haven't replied within 24 hrs please send me a pm

#12 code13

code13

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:35 AM

Just right click on the photos...open with Microsoft Office 2010 (photo manger) and click compress photos so it wont be as large(memory wise) and also "resize" so it will not need to be scrolled .

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

As suggested...resize, resample...and send a few emails to yourself where you post the graphic in the body of the email to get an idea of the minimum/maximum size you can insert in emails.

I would also suggest always using either .jpg/jpeg or .png format for the included graphics.

Louis

#14 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:39 AM

Gmail lets you send pictures/music etc. files as large as 25 MB.

#15 Sani-T-Capt1

Sani-T-Capt1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

Thank you Kaluk and all for your comments and suggestion, I don't do facebook so that's not an option LOL. so I'll tool around with some of the stuff I have. I just discovered another program that I have that was bundled with my Blu-Ray burner called Blu-ray Disc Suite that also has photo editing. right now I'm leaning toward creating some slideshows on CD or DVD and send them out (That I know how to do) and then fool around with the Adobe, Nero, etal stuff. Actually I'd better get some use out of this software because wifey would kill me for being so wasteful :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users