Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop shuts down completely by itself

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RBird

RBird

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

My laptop, an Asus K52DR-X1 (My link)
shuts down completely only in games; examples such as League of Legends, WoW, and Starcraft 2 and only when it gets to a heavy processing load. Most often on loading screens but has occasionally shut down in game. It seems to do this when the cpu is anywhere between 72-92C° . It is a fairly new product only days out of warranty please help.

Edited by RBird, 16 February 2012 - 03:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

The heatsink needs to be cleaned. You most likely hear the fan racing before it shuts off.

You can try the instructions from HP that I linked in this message http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic441193.html/page__p__2583145#entry2583145

They should apply to all brands generically.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 RBird

RBird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

Thankyou for the help Roger.

I did everything the link told me to do and there was in fact quite a bit of dust gathered.

Now i just have to wait and see

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

Hi
I thought that might be a helpful link when I posted it. Glad to hear you found it useful.

I hope that does it for you. If so I reccomend a twice yearly cleaning. Since heat shortens component life keeping it cool by preventive cleaning pays off. Plus it will cut down on fan noise and lengthen the fans life since it will be running cooler and the fan slower.

This Toshiba I'm on right now is blowing out lukewarm air and I never hear the fan just for comparison purposes.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 17 February 2012 - 06:04 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 RBird

RBird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

Hi again

The cleaning that you recommended that i do worked for a couple of months.

since then i have cleaned it 3 times however my computer has started shutting off again.

cleaning the heatsinks is no longer solving the problem.

i only use my laptop on a cooling pad and the heatsinks are clean but for some reason it is still shutting down.

I was wondering if that's a sign of failing hardware?

Please help
Ryan

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

I'll have to think about this one.

In the meantime is there plenty of air blowing out of the laptop?
How hot is the air blowing out, Right up to when it shuts off?
If you do Ctrl + Alt + Del what % of CPU used is showing. High CPU will cause more heat, hence the question.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

If it reach 720-900 C you could consider to replace Heatsink Fan :wink:
If your laptop still have warranty please take it to ASUS Service Center and let them replace it to you as if you change it it will broke your laptop warranty :whistle:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#8 RBird

RBird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:15 PM

up to the point when it shuts off there seems to be quite a bit of air blowing,
also sometimes the fan speed will pick up right before shutting off.

the air is pretty warm if not Hot it is between 72-80 degrees C

and the processor runs at about 30% cpu usage constant but before it shuts off the cpu usage jumps to about 70% or higher

the games my computer shuts of on, are star craft2 and league of legends usually after i have been playing them for a good 30 min which can be pretty taxing
it doesn't shut off doing any other tasks

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

Hi,
The CPU should be running around 0% to 1% when the computer is doing nothing (Idling). If you are at 30% doing nothing that could be part or all of the problem. The higher the CPU percentage the more heat it puts out.
f it is idling at 30% what is using the CPU that way?

However if it only hits 30% playing a game that would be different.

I await your feedback
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#10 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

If in BIOS set autoshutdown in 80 degree then it will shutdown if temp reach 80 degree, but in laptop this setting will be locked.
But if it only shutdown when you play game then you need to check your VGA, maybe your problem is on your VGA.
Another possibility is on your software (windows / other) that might be crash, usually if crash it will give a BSOD but sometimes it just make computer shutdown without BSOD, check your error logs or dump (BSOD) just to make sure.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#11 RBird

RBird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:22 AM

Its idle doing nothing is 0%. The 30% i spoke of is idle in game.

However it doesn't seem to shut down at any certain temp. For instance it has reached 90C before but it will shut down anywhere

from 72-92C.

Edited by RBird, 30 May 2012 - 01:26 AM.

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

It sounds as if the cooling system is doing its job and just isn't up to the task of keeping it cool under a heavy load. WIth the CPU idling the air coming out should be lukewarm. and the fan should be silent.

Video encoding and games put the heaviest load on a computer.
Laptops with their compromise size cooling systems are not good for either.
They keep the size and weight down in laptops. The average laptop cooler is much smaller compared to a desktop cooler for an equivalent CPU & GPU
This why I suggest using a desktop unless you need to be portable.

It is also possible that since the CPU is only hitting 30% that the GPU is overheating instead.

I suppose a cooling pad doesn't help?

Also keep in mind that running so hot it shuts down will drastically shorten the laptops life. I've replaced laptop motherboards that were killed by always running hot. One was just from needing a cleaning and the other was from a failed heatsink assembly. However the common denominator was that the owners kept using them even though would get so hot they shut down.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 30 May 2012 - 10:36 AM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users