Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 - exe files won't open, no error message

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Monkeyjerky

Monkeyjerky

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

Hey, hopefully someone here can help me because I'm on the verge of tearing my hair out here.

I seem to have picked up some sort of virus last night, which restarted my PC. Once it booted back up, I couldnt access any .exe files at all, when I try it gives me a loading icon for half a second, before not doing anything at all.

I've tried burning reg fixes onto a CD and have run them on my PC, but they seem to have no effect. I've also tried a system restore to the day before, but get an error message stopping me from doing it and I'm at a bit of a loose end as to what else I can try beyond a new hard drive and a fresh install of windows.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monkeyjerky

Monkeyjerky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

As an addendum to this, I've just got in from work and attempted to use iexplorer, and it turns out that's the only file I can open.

Thanks again.

Chris

#3 Eqwatz

Eqwatz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

Download Puppy Linux image and burn to cd using what ever you are using to look and post here.
http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

It should have the drivers to boot your hardware and access your hard drive so you can retrieve any thing you want before someone else gives you specific directions for windows 7.

It will allow you full use of the hardware and the ability to find what has happened. Also, since it writes nothing to the hard drive unless you tell it to, it is safe--it runs completely in ram.
Puppy Linux is very powerful, as you are the root user, just like earlier versions of windows. Don't try to do stuff unless you know what you are doing or it will be a salvage what you can and reload the system. Most installations of Windows can be repaired and recovered.

If you have calmed down, see if you can start the computer in "Safe Mode" -- that is as an administrator with the minimum of drivers to boot the hardware (computer.) The way you do this is by turning on the computer and tapping the F8 key before the system tries to boot up; just tap the key several times to try to time it for the change from bios to system loader. You also can try simply holding down the F8 key from the moment you turn it on until a screen shows on your monitor.
If you miss, just hold down the power button until the system shuts down then try again. This will give you--and whoever helps you--a place to start.
First question is will it boot in Safe Mode?

Edited by Eqwatz, 16 February 2012 - 06:25 PM.

#4 Monkeyjerky

Monkeyjerky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I can boot in safe mode, but have all of the same problems still. I can access all of my filing structure and copy files, but at the moment I can't get the pc to recognise my external hard drive through the USB ports.

Having done a little more reading around this evening in still unable to find anything which works, but I do appear to also have a google redirect, which I guess ties into a commonly recurring problem from a browse through the boards.

Chris

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I can boot in safe mode, but have all of the same problems still. I can access all of my filing structure and copy files, but at the moment I can't get the pc to recognise my external hard drive through the USB ports.

Having done a little more reading around this evening in still unable to find anything which works, but I do appear to also have a google redirect, which I guess ties into a commonly recurring problem from a browse through the boards.

Chris

#5 Monkeyjerky

Monkeyjerky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

Bah, apologies for the double post there; using my iPhone for most of my browsing and my thumbs aren't designed for precision typing! :P

#6 Eqwatz

Eqwatz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

You should not attach your external drive to an infected windows computer--the autorun demon will get you! I hope you haven't infected the drive.
That is why I told you to download Puppy Linux. It will allow you to mount your system drive and copy the files to your external drive.
If you don't know how to burn an ISO image there are instructions all over the net for it.
Viruses aimed at Windows don't infect Linux and Vice-Versa.
Hopefully, you know how to disable autorun on your laptop and can run antivirus and antimalware software on your external hard drive. It would really suck if you cleaned your pc and reinfected it--or infected your laptop.
Don't reboot the laptop until you run a complete scan if you have plugged the drive into both computers!!!

OOPS, I thought you were communicating via laptop. I am such a dinosaur.

The tools used on this site are dangerous--which is also why they work. However, I am out of practice. If you have been infected for a length of time and still connected to the internet, it is likely you will have layers of malware to sort through. When I get a suspect computer, I immediately back up all of the documents, mail and account information. I do this using a different operating system; if it is a Windows system, I use Knoppix or Puppy. The reason is that the drive is not active until I make it active, so a sick drive won't turn into something worse. I am sure that this site still recommends doing this before all else if you can.

The absolute last thing you want to do is apply random "fixes"--however, you should be able use system restore from the safe mode--but you will want to make copies of your mail and newer documents that the restore image will not have.

Oh, and btw if you have any kind of antivirus and or anti malware have you attempted to run it in safe mode?

Edited by Eqwatz, 16 February 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#7 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

Hi

Try to create a new user account and see if you're able to run EXE files

#8 Monkeyjerky

Monkeyjerky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:19 AM

Hi again,

I have the same problems running anything in safe mode as I do in normal mode.

This morning before running off to work I tried creating a new profile and it wouldnt allow me to access it from the control panel.

The best I could manage was turning the "guest" account on, and on a quick attempt that didnt appear to allow me to open any programs either. I didnt get chance to try the "guest" account on safe mode before I had to leave the flat though, so will have a look at that when I'm home this evening.

Chris

#9 Monkeyjerky

Monkeyjerky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:22 AM

As an addendum to this I've now tried other users in safe mode and still have the same problem: the guest user can't use any programs, and it wont allow me to add a new user.

Chris

#10 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

Try this

boot into administrator account

Browse to

C:\Windows\System32

Rename cmd.exe to cmd.com

http://www.programmerfish.com/how-to-change-file-extension-in-windows-7/

and try to launch it.Let me know if it works

#11 Monkeyjerky

Monkeyjerky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

I hadnt considered trying to access cmd.exe prior to your suggestion, it appears to work fine without changing the file extension. It still works fine when I change the extension to .com.

Thanks for the help thus far by the way, very much appreciated.

Chris

#12 Eqwatz

Eqwatz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

Find someone with a clean computer and fast connection.
http://connect.microsoft.com/systemsweeper
This webpage has a microsoft live-cd with an anti-virus and anti-mal-ware program in both native 32-bit and 64-bit images.
Have someone with an uninfected computer download and burn CD.
You merely have to have your bios settings set to boot from CD and run the programs.
http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/2011/06/setting-up-microsoft-standalone-system.html
This in not infallible, but should be the safest route if you don't get help by someone familiar with the exact problem you have.

http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list/

This offers a partial list of downloadable rescue CD images. Make sure that if you download an image that you have the person check the file for corruption. Kaspersky is a great one, but often the image is corrupt and must be redownloaded.
Images will have a SHA-1 MD5-sum or other integrity check you will have to get free software to generate a number to compare for the images (that is why I gave you the Microsoft one first; it should be reliable.)

#13 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

Open command prompt as administrator and run these commands

Net user test /add

Net localgroup administrators test /add

Restart the PC and boot into TEST user account and see if you can launch your EXE applications.

Download

TDSSkiller

Launch it.Click on change parameters-Select TDLFS file system

Click on "Scan".Please post the LOG report(log file should be in your C drive)

Download

aswMBR

Launch it, allow it to download latest Avast! virus definitions
Click the "Scan" button to start scan.After scan finishes,click on Save log

Post the log results here

#14 Monkeyjerky

Monkeyjerky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:38 AM

Morning,

I managed to add a new user through the command prompt, but even when logged in as the test user I'm unable to use any programs.

Thanks again for the help, bloody malicious virus...

Chris

#15 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:30 AM

Please download exeHelper to your desktop.

http://www.raktor.net/exeHelper/exeHelper.com

Double-click on exeHelper.com to run the fix.

A black window should pop up, press any key to close once the fix is completed.

See if you can run applications now

Download

TDSSkiller

Rename TDSSkiller.exe to TDSSkiller.com

If you can launch it,

Click on "Scan".Please post the LOG report(log file should be in your C drive)

If that doesnt work,we need to have a deeper look

Create a topic here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html

good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users