Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word document popped up, and then computer shut off

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vnn117

vnn117

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

So without getting too off topic, and I hope you guys don't think I'm just trying to post creepypasta or anything but I'd like to know if this is something that has ever happened to your computers before? I'm not a paranormal believing kind of guy or anything, and I'm hoping that there is a logical reason for the following happening based on the programming.

So my girlfriend thinks her house is haunted or something and she was having nightmares about killing her family last night, and when she woke up she experienced sleep paralysis and saw shadows moving around. Anyway, today we were discussing it on skype because she really believes this stuff, and alledgedly, according to her, her computer started acting weird and then shut off and turned back on without her touching it. But she said before it shut off, a text document - not an alert pop up - said "sorry...stop". Now, I don't really care for ghost stories or any crap like that, but I just think that it is strange that a word document had popped up instead of an alert, and that it had that text. Is that a protocol for any process on windows 7? Because I think that's quite odd.

Edited by vnn117, 16 February 2012 - 12:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

Before I would believe in a haunted computer I would believe she has be hacked. Sounds like some one has gotten in and has remote control over her PC. I would make sure you update all of your Anti-virus software. Download Malwarebytes and make sure it is up to date. Then do a full scan of each software to find any rogue programs.

Also sleep paralysis is a documented condition where the person awakens before REM sleep is over with. Paralysis and hallucinations are very normal with this condition. She should be evaluated by a doctor since this is a treatable condition.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 vnn117

vnn117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

Yeah I understand the sleep paralysis stuff, that isn't what I'm worried about. I was just a little spooked and wondered if this kind of thing has happened to anyone before. But yeah I'll be sure to clean up her computer. Thanks.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:05 PM

I agree with Baltboy, Haunted computer, Bah Humbug.

I would also cover the Webcam and microphone when she doesn't need them. Alternatively she should start turning off the computer and shutting the screen. Also it is always possible that if someone has hacked her computer that anything said and done on SKYPE is being observed.

Sad to have to say it but.......
There have been cases where creeps had managed to install remote control Malware and using the webcam video'd young ladies in their bedroom.

Edited by rotor123, 16 February 2012 - 06:10 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users