Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Performance and Stability Analysis Report Virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 David977

David977

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:12 AM

Hello Guys.

My Dell Desktop had been acting a bit wierd for a few days then the other evening internet explorer closed of its own accord and I got a screen that told me a PC Performance and Stability Analysis Report was running. From looking at other posts it seems that it is some sort of malware/virus and I am stuck big time as to what to do next. It looks like I should be downloading a Malware removal tool but I can't access anything as all I have is a black desktop so I can't access the internet. Even task manager has been disabled and all programs via the Start Menu have disappeared. To be honest I am toying with idea of reinstalling the operating system as there isn't really anything on my HDD that I would be devestated if I lost and it looks like from reading other posts it is major ballache to completeley get rid of? I am writing this on another PC so I could download fixes and transfer to my infected PC via usb stick but haven't got a clue wether this is the right thing to do. If anyone could point me in the right direction as to what to do next, I would be extremley grateful!!

Thanks for reading, Dave

(I'm running Windows XP on a Dell Optiplex)

Edited by David977, 16 February 2012 - 06:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 balon

balon

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:06 AM

Hi there, a moderator or someone in the malware team may/will take over this post at anytime..

Lets get started..

Use a uninfected machine and a USB to transfer files over to the infected machine...

Start by doing this;

Download aswMBR

Launch it, allow it to download latest Avast virus definitions

Click the Scan button to start the scan.
After scan finishes click on Save log

Post the log results here

Then

Download: TDSSkiller

Launch it.

Click on Scan. Please post the LOG report(log will be located in C:\

DO NOT WORRY ABOUT CURING ISSUES AT THIS POINT AS SOME OF THEM MAY BE LEGIT DRIVERS SUCH A DAEMON TOOLS.

And Lastly...

Download: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) to your desktop.

Setup the program, and then make sure you update the virus definitions.
Download and install the latest version and of course any updated, then click on Perform Quick Scan, then click on Scan.

Once the scan is complete hit "OK" then Show Results

Make sure you select all the found viruses and hit Remove Selected.

Post the log here.

Please separate your logs by using [h-r] the bbcode for a line; remove the - so it just says hr.

Edited by Balon, 16 February 2012 - 08:41 AM.

#3 David977

David977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

Thanks so much for your reply on this one Balon. I decided to cut my losses in the end and reinstalled XP. I didn't really have any data that I was that concerned about losing and thought my computer could do with a clean up anyway! Thanks again though mate - Its much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users