Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista restarts at crcdisk.sys on HP TX1000

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 candybar

candybar

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:00 AM

My laptop stops at crcdisk.sys in safe mode. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium on an HP Pavilion Entertainment TX1000 Laptop.

Is there a way to run checkdisk with xPUD? It won't recognize Puppy Linux as an OS.

When I can get it into set up and run the hard drive test it comes back "#1-07 Fail". Please help. I'm sure it is an automatic update from Windows that has installed a bad driver within the drivers but I need professional help.

Thank you in advance for any help you have to offer. I have been all over the internet all night and nothing is working.

Thank you
Candy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:33 AM

When I can get it into set up and run the hard drive test it comes back "#1-07 Fail".

If the hard drive is failing (has failed?), then that is a likely reason that you cannot start Windows. In such a case, depending on the extent of failure, running chkdsk may overcome the problem with Windows not starting, but there is also an element of risk when running chkdsk that doing so may corrupt (all) data on the hard drive. The first thing that you should do therefore, is to retrieve copies of all important personal files to an external hard drive. Do you have personal files that you need to recover?

What makes you "sure it is an automatic update from Windows that has installed a bad driver"?

In the event that the hard drive is not recoverable, what means do you have available for restoring/installing the Windows operating system to a new hard drive? Do you have CD/DVDs to install Windows, or do you rely on a recovery partition on the (failing?) hard drive?

Firstly, double check the FAIL result for the hard drive test.

Test the hard drive. If you tell us the hard drive manufacturer's name (brand name) and model we can point you to the most appropriate diagnostic utility to use. It is best to use the hard drive manufacturer's own diagnostic utility, but Seagate's tool will work OK on most brands. The diagnostic tool is run from a bootable CD (Windows does not need to be working.The first two steps are done on a working computer, while the third step is to boot the ailing computer with the CD that you create in the first two steps.)

:step1: Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
:step2: Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
      Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test will take some considerable time to complete.)
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
  • If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests.

When you can, include the make and model number of the problematic hard drive. If you do choose to use SeaTools, you will see the model number (and maybe the make) when SeaTools first detects the hard drive.

Edited by AustrAlien, 16 February 2012 - 06:47 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 candybar

candybar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:51 PM

Thank you very very much for taking the time to help me.

I do have personal files I need to retrieve, but have no idea how to do it without Windows runnning. SeaTools offers an advanced feature to remove files, but how could that work? I do not have an external harddrive I could connect it to. I have a Dell Desktop computer. Can I hook it up to that somehow? Can I remove the SeaTools disc and insert a cd/dvd and have the Laptop dump my files on to a cd/dvd? Will SeaTools still run if I remove the disc?

During my research, before I wrote you, I ran across a lot of other posts about the "crcdisk.sys stall/hang/restart" problem and a faulty Windows Automatic update seemed to be the culprit for most of the people that had solved the problem. That is where I got the idea about the bad driver being installed. Other people's experiences.

I do not have any Windows cd/dvds.

Repeating the Harddrive Self Test returned another FAIL

Booting in Safe Mode with command prompts stops at "crcdisk.sys" for about 2 minutes then the screen goes black and then blue with white writing saying something about a registry file couldn't be read and something about a dump?? Crash dump maybe? I'm usually not watching when it happens. Im usually looking at this computer screen for answers. Is this the BSOD? If it will help you diagnose I can boot again and watch closer and take better notes of the content.

Upon booting with SeaTools, as the information was scrolling up the screen, as it loaded, it said that it couldn't find parameters for drive 1. Is that as bad as it sounds?

My harddrive failed the short test:-( Not looking good <_< While running the Long Test I was typing this and when I looked at the screen it showed a green screen with white writing giving me options to view the log or certain files and directions to copy the log to a floppy disc. At the end it said to remove the disc and press ctrl + alt + del to restart the computer. Does this mean it failed? I am running it again and paying closer attention.

The first line on SeaTools says, "Device 0 is ATA WDCWD2500BEVS-60USTO WD-WXEYO7P06005 on nVidia MCP51 SATA" Does that tell you the manufacturer of my harddrive? I have no idea how to tell. Would it help if I removed the cover plate over my harddrive and physically looked at the information?

I just replaced the LCD screen on this laptop after it took a short fall. Could that have affected the harddrive?

Thank you again for your time and patience. As I said in the PM I sent you, you have helped me in the past fix my sister's computer. I really appreciate all you do!!

Sincerely~
Candy

#4 candybar

candybar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:21 AM

Long Test is complete..well... 99% with 6 errors. The first error registered at around 59%.

It says to write down the error code, but it doesn't list one. In the drive list under 'Test Progress' is "99% LBA 488377022 6 error(s)"

'Long Test Errors' window reads:
"Please save this code if you are planning a warranty exchange. Seagate product warranty status depends on how the product is sold. If your hard drive is a component in an OEM system, then the OEM covers the drive warranty. Unfortunately, your hard drive has failed an important diagnostic test, possibly caused by problem sectors which are difficult to read. Now is a good time to make sure you have a current backup of your important data. Seagate recommends that you consider repairing the problem sector. SeaTools for DOS may be able to save you form the inconvenience and down time of exchanging the drive. For more information on this subject see our help topic 'Bad Sector Found'"

What do I do now??

Thank you~

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:06 AM

you have helped me in the past fix my sister's computer.

Ah .... so that is where we have crossed paths! Am I a sucker for candy?

WDCWD2500BEVS
You said: "I just replaced the LCD screen on this laptop after it took a short fall. Could that have affected the harddrive?"
Yes, that is quite possible, even likely, especially if the hard drive was in use at the time of the fall!

I do have personal files I need to retrieve, but have no idea how to do it without Windows runnning

Puppy is one very convenient way. I see you mentioned Puppy in your first post, but I do not understand what you meant when you said: "It won't recognize Puppy Linux as an OS". Do you mean you have created a CD, but the system will not boot from the CD? Did you burn the Puppy .ISO image file to CD in the correct manner? (It is not like burning normal files to CD.) I suggest you test booting from the CD on another computer, if you think that it was burned correctly. Can you boot any computer from the Puppy CD?

The first priority is for you to retrieve copies of your important personal files from the laptop's hard drive. I include the following instructions for using Puppy. Let me know if you have a problem ... and exactly what that problem is. I note that you have said that you do not have a USB-connected external hard drive. Do you have a USB flashdrive that you could use? Otherwise, yes, you can use a CD or DVD to burn your files onto using Puppy. One of the good features of Puppy is that the operating system is loaded completely into memory, so you can remove the Puppy CD once Puppy has loaded, and replace it with the writable/re-writable CD/DVD onto which you wish to burn your files. Let me know if you need assistance with burning files to disk using Puppy.

============
If your computer is not able to boot into Windows or simply not able to access the internet, you can use a LIVE Linux operating system run from a bootable CD or flashdrive instead of Windows, to access the internet, to access files on the HDD(s) and do other tasks.

:step1: Using a working computer:
  • If you wish to use a LIVE CD ...
  • Download the Linux version of your choice (usually an .ISO image file).
  • There are many options to use for a LIVE CD. I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 12 Lisa (versions for a CD, and larger versions that need to be burned to a DVD disk)
[*]Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
  • Click Posted Image
[*]When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
[/list][*]OR ... if you wish to use a LIVE flashdrive ...
  • Go to UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads and at the top of the page, click on Download (for Windows) to download the application.
  • Follow the instructions further down the page under the heading Installation & Screenshots.
  • Run the application to download and install the Linux version of choice to your flashdrive.
  • I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 12 Lisa (download file size depends on version)
[/list][/list]
:step2: Boot the problematic machine from the LIVE CD or flashdrive.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD drive or the flashdrive, which ever you are using.)
  • Choose to run the Linux operating system from the CD or flashdrive without making any changes to your computer.
    Do NOT install Linux on your hard drive.
  • When the Linux operating system loads ...
  • You will be able to navigate to all the files on your HDD.
  • You can backup your files by copying them to a flashdrive or an external hard drive or burning them to CD/DVD.
  • Before using the internet (if you choose to use Puppy, for example) you may have to:
  • Configure/set up the internet connection
  • Download a favourite browser
    (With Linux Mint the foregoing should not be necessary.)
[/list]You may find one of the following guides useful:
Recover files from Windows XP hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows Vista hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows 7 hard disk using Puppy Linux

The easiest way to copy files/folders in Puppy is to drag-and-drop from one window to another. To do this open a window showing what you want to copy. Open another window showing the location that you wish to copy to .... and move the windows so that you can conveniently see both at the same time.

Now, simply drag the items you wish to copy from one window into the other. Simple.

----------------
Recent news, November 2011: You may be interested to have a look at the following:

The most popular Linux is...

No it’s not Fedora, openSUSE, or even Ubuntu. It’s Linux Mint.

Edited by AustrAlien, 17 February 2012 - 01:13 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#6 candybar

candybar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

Yes, unfortunately, the hard drive was in use when the Laptop took the dive. So, it could actually be physically damaged?

I tried Puppy in the Laptop and it said 'Operating System Not Found'. I tried the disc in my Dell and it worked fine...plus I know that my sister used it as her only operating system for quite awhile and it worked. So I know for a fact it was burned correctly because I have booted 2 different computers with it successfully. Is Puppy specific to operating system? Now that I think about it...both my sister's and my Dells are running Windows XP and my laptop runs Vista. Could that be the problem?

I downloaded and booted from Linux Mint 12 Lisa, successfully. I am able to copy and paste my files onto a USB Flash drive!! Should I be drag and dropping and removing them from my laptop? Will they be lost anyway?

Should I be burning a diagnostic disc from Western Digital? How can I tell if my Windows Vista is 32 or 64bit without being able to get into Windows?

Thank you for your guidance. It is so appreciated! I eagerly await your next instructions!!

Candy

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

Yes, unfortunately, the hard drive was in use when the Laptop took the dive. So, it could actually be physically damaged?

Yes, that is quite likely. Hard drives are delicate when not in use, and even more delicate and very susceptible to physical shock when actually in use.

You said: "I tried Puppy in the Laptop and it said 'Operating System Not Found'."
That is mysterious: That message appears to indicate that the system is not seeing the Puppy CD as a bootable device, and is reporting "Operating system not found" when looking at the hard drive to boot from. Yet, the Puppy CD boots on other machines! And yet it seems that a Mint CD/DVD will boot in that machine without problem!

Booting from any Linux CD (Puppy included) is not dependent at all on what version of Windows is installed on a hard drive, or whether there is any Windows version at all, or indeed whether there is any hard drive attached to the system at all!

Anyway, it is a moot point now, as it seems you were able to successfully boot the problematic machine with Mint ... so that is good! Copy/paste or drag-and-drop >>> same thing when transferring/copying files from one drive to a different drive.

You asked: "How can I tell if my Windows Vista is 32 or 64bit without being able to get into Windows?"
You should be able to tell by looking at the files/folders present in the drive on which Windows is installed (using Mint). If you can't tell, then provide a list of folders that you see in the drive and in the Windows folder and I might be able to tell from that. However, I am not sure why you wish to know this information now???

You asked: "Should I be burning a diagnostic disc from Western Digital?"
Yes, that's the next step. Ensure that you have all your important personal files backed up before using the utility to test and possibly repair the hard drive, in case things do not go as well as hoped.

The exact same tool is used for all Western Digital hard drives, so do not concern yourself about the reference to a different model in the following instructions ....

Check your system HDD with the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic utility ...

:step1: Go to the WD Caviar Black Downloads page and download Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)
  • Unzip (right-click > Extract all) the file when you have downloaded it, to get to the .ISO image file.
    (Read the instructions while you are there.)

:step2: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • Run the Short/Quick test and then the Long/Extended test].
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
    • If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
  • Please let us know the results of the tests.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#8 candybar

candybar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:57 AM

On a side note..My Dell CD/DVD Burner is, shall we say, selective, about ejecting. At one point, when I had set the burner to eject upon completion of burning the disc, it said, 'Input/Output Error Cannot Eject Media'. If there is a disc in, it will eventually open. It use to open as long as there was a disc in, but now it's hit or miss. It's been like that for awhile, but I just suffer or use an unbent paperclip to poke in the little hole and a butter knife to pry it open..but I realize that can't be good and there is a bigger problem that isn't going away...but what do I do? Can I fix it or is it just an old deteriorated ejection system?

As long as I was typing and correcting this message is how long it took this computer to eject the diagnostic disc. I can switch it to another forum if necessary.

Any suggestions are welcome!! Thank you!!
Candy

#9 candybar

candybar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:06 AM

When I put the disc in my laptop and booted from it, it said it didn't find a drive

Now it says cannot load the file A:/COMMAND.COM
Insert correct disk and strike any key
I'm going to try again and I'll get back to you.

Thank you for your swift response!!

Candy

#10 candybar

candybar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:34 AM

Same..Please help!

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:20 AM

The Western Digital diagnostic utility is temperamental, and it seems it is not going to load on your machine.

I think from what you have reported so far with HP's diagnostic and SeaTools diagnostic that you should consider the hard drive is failing and that you need a new one to replace it. You should consider how you are going to install a Windows operating system on the new hard drive. Probably the best thing to do first, is to contact HP and ask if they can supply you with recovery disk(s) for your particular model laptop. If they cannot do that, then we will have to explore other options. Before considering any other step, you should know firstly whether you are able to get the recovery disk(s) if you need them.

Do you already have recovery disks? Did you create recovery disks when you first bought the laptop?

If you are able to get recovery disk(s) from HP, I suggest that you order them and then order a new hard drive. When they arrive you can install the hard drive, install the Windows operating system, update Windows and you are back in business. That is likely to be the quickest and easiest solution to the problem.

My Dell CD/DVD Burner .......... Can I fix it or is it just an old deteriorated ejection system?

I think you should simply replace it with a new one. They are one of the least reliable components, and these days are relatively cheap. However, I am not sure whether you can use any standard model/brand, or you need one specifically for the Dell machine.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#12 candybar

candybar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

Not the news I was hoping for. Thank you. I will start shopping around.

Thank you!
Candy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users