Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

corner rounding issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kris Hughes

Kris Hughes

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:14 AM

I am creating some graphics where I copy and paste a photo image onto a plain coloured background. That part is easy enough. I've been using PhotoFiltre freeware, which I like. My problem is that I would like to round the corners of my photos slightly before copying and pasting them onto the background image. PhotoFiltre doesn't offer the type of rounded corner I like. (They have a "rounded rectangle" but it's too rounded for my taste.) I've found several online editors which can do that job for me, but when I try to paste the image back into PhotoFiltre, I get white corners in the area that was rounded off.

Any idea how I can overcome this, and paste only the rounded corner image onto the coloured one?

Thanks in advance!
Kris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

Can you use the eraser tool at a higher opacity (or fade it after you do it at full strength) to give you the desired effect? Another option (if possible, I'm not familiar with that software) would be to select the image with a rectangle tool and try to feather or soften the selection then copy and paste it.

The reason that you get the white corners is that when you're in online editors pasting back into the photofiltre is that the image comes in at the original size, despite the rounded corners. You could try using a cut option if possible and then paste it into photofiltre. That would alter the original image and it's dimensions (hopefully).

Let me know if any of this works or not, and we'll go from there.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 code13

code13

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:36 AM

Save the rounded images as TIFFS, or GIF so transparency option can be seen.

#4 Kris Hughes

Kris Hughes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

Steve - thanks for the suggestions. The cut option doesn't seem to work, unless I'm doing it wrong. You'd probably have to give me a step-by-step path for me to be sure.

I'm reluctant to use any kind of painting or erasing, because if I understand it correctly this is going to give it a "freehand" sort of look. I really need these corners to be neat and all the same. The results are going to be printed on cards with rounded corners and I would like the images to reflect this, with nice clean lines (but no borders).

People are telling me to use transparency. I've no experience with layers or transparency. I watched some tutorials, which always seemed to be about cutting an irregular shape (person) out of a picture and putting them into another. While I can see that this is what I am essentially doing, it seemed to be quite a long process, and I'm also not clear on whether I'll end up with those nice clean lines.... Is there an easier way?

code 13 - won't I lose quality on my photo if I use TIFF or GIF?

#5 code13

code13

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:06 PM

No, you can control the quality when you are saving the photo.

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:16 AM

I'm not really familiar with the software you're using, but I'll try to give you some rough step by step instructions...

Make your selection
In the file menu, find where you can "select > inverse"
Feather (soften) your selections, possibly by "edit > feather selection"
Copy
Open other image
Paste

If this doesn't work, send me the pic and I'll get it for you. Also, you could try GIMP, it's a freeware editing software that many compare to Photoshop itself.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#7 Kris Hughes

Kris Hughes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

Thanks for the replies. I actually discovered the solution a couple of days ago and am happily working on my project now (over 50 images to do). So here's what I found:

To create a rounded corner photo using the online editor, Roundpic, select a background colour which identical to the colour of the background image created in your software. You can also use Roundpic to resize the image if desired, but I found that with a slower internet connection it worked better to reduce the image size beforehand, as it then loaded into Roundpic much quicker. Be patient when waiting to see your image transformed on Roundpic, at first it looks like the white corners are still there, but they disappear after a moment.

Then it's easy to just copy the image on the Roundpic screen and paste it into PhotoFiltre or whatever software you choose.

Thanks to those who contributed possible fixes. Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to soften or feather the edges of the photo, just round the corners and place the rounded off image on a solid coloured background. This achieves that without getting tangled up in layers and transparancy, and so saves a lot of time.

Kris

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

Awesome! Glad you got it figured out! If there's anything else that you ever need, you know where to find us! :thumbup2:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users