Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help! System Check Malware..should I log off?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 idas

idas

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

Hi, I would so appreciate some help here. My main computer just got infected with the system check malware.
I'm so mad! I was going to try the following which I found on AVG forums which led me here to bleepingcomputer.com:

Method B:
1. Open Internet Explorer. If the shortcut is hidden, pelase Select Run... from the Start Menu or just hit the key combination CTRL+R on your keyboard. In the Open: field, enter iexplore.exe and hit Enter or click OK.
2. Download and run Rkill.exe http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/rkill
3. Download Unhide.exe and run it http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/unhide.exe
4. Use TDSSKiller http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe
5. Scan your computer with anti-malware software.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-check

Finally, as many rogues and other malware are installed through vulnerabilities found in out-dated and insecure programs, UPDATE WINDOWS AND other software.

I hope this helps. Peace!

But I want to wait and have my husband do this as he is more computer-savvy.
I won't be able to have him look at it until tomorrow afternoon.

My question is... what should I do with my computer in the meantime?
All of my icons on desktop are hidden. I have a bunch of stupid windows popping up, critical errors, "files indexation process failed" blah blah blah.

Should I try to completely shut down my computer? Or should I leave it the way it is and just wait for him to reboot tomorrow?

please help me. :(

Edited by idas, 15 February 2012 - 10:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 idas

idas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

Now I found the following:
http://remove-malwares.blogspot.com/2011/12/system-check-what-heck.html

Should I try that tomorrow? or the one in my previous post?

eek.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

Hello, I moved this to the Am I Infected forum.
Don't use that instead... Please follow our Removal Guide here Remove System Check (Uninstall Guide) .
After reading how the malware is misleading you ...
You will move to the Automated Removal Instructions

After you completed that, post your scan log here,let me know how things are.
The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.

Also the other tool log.. A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

Edited by boopme, 15 February 2012 - 10:48 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 idas

idas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.
I'll have my husband follow the removal guide tomorrow. Is there a link? I'm not seeing it.

In the meantime, should I leave my computer running or should I try to shut it down?
(I'm on my laptop and it's my desktop that has the malware.)

thank you

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:43 PM

OOOOPs I'll fix the above post now...

Fixed.. shut it off..If it won't boot in safe or normal we can fix that. I'll look back tomorrow after you post the logs.

Edited by boopme, 15 February 2012 - 10:50 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 idas

idas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:58 PM

Thank you!

#7 idas

idas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

Looks like I won't be able to do anything with my computer until this weekend.
In the meantime, just wanted to again, say thanks for the help!

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:54 PM

I;ll look back when you reply again..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users