Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When waking from sleep i get a backround

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 busrolla

busrolla

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

When the computer "wakes" from sleep all i get is a backround, I can move a mouse around but thats it. Windows 7 operating system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

Hi

Do you have two monitor cables plugged into your video card but are using only one monitor?

James

#3 busrolla

busrolla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

Hi

Do you have two monitor cables plugged into your video card but are using only one monitor?

James

Its plugged directly into the motherboard.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

This problem typically occurs when the computer thinks there are two monitors connected and when it wakes, it thinks that the monitor you are looking at is the secondary monitor.

Can you think of any reason why your computer might think that two monitors are connected?

Is there a video card in it in addition to the 'on motherboard' video?

Try this the next time you see just the background...

Hold down the Windows key (usually between alt and ctrl on the keyboard) and press the letter 'R' one time.
Now press these keys carefully in order...
alt
down arrow
enter
left arrow

Now move your mouse around to where you can see it.
Is it dragging a little Run window with it?
If so, your computer thinks that you have two monitors and that is definitely the problem.

James

#5 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:34 AM

If you press Ctrl + Alt + Delete, and then click Task Manager, does the Task Manager come up? If so, click File > New Task (Run...). In the box, type explorer.exe and press Enter.

What happens?

Edited by LucheLibre, 17 February 2012 - 01:35 AM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

Just to clarify my response.

I have seen this in person several times and every time it has been the result of the computer having an HDMI and DVI cable plugged into the computer and into a single monitor.

The people figure that is what they are supposed to do when they get the computer and set it up in order to make sure that they use all of the cables that came in the box.

Removing one of the cables has always fixed it.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users