Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would adding Spywareblaster to my current security be of benefit?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

Greetings everyone...again!

I have been reading information on some various security-related items, such as, Spywareblaster, Hphosts, and MVPS...trying to grasp an understanding of each. I must admit...I'm not the most adept at understanding all the technical jargon and just what it is these things do.

My sole question is: Would downloading/installing Spywareblaster be of any real benefit, given the security features I already have (shown in my signature line for your reference)?

Thank you for your time, indulgence, and any enlightenment! :busy:

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:16 PM

My sole question is: Would downloading/installing Spywareblaster be of any real benefit, given the security features I already have (shown in my signature line for your reference)?

It's one more layer of protection that doesn't use any resources other than a little drive space, so yes it would be beneficial. My security is similar to yours, I've had SpywareBlaster installed and up to date for years without any problems. Just remember to check for updates every 10 days or so.

#3 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

I appreciate the recommendation, FlannelBack! There was a time about a year or so ago when I DID have Spywareblaster, but decided to uninstall it. (Seems I recall it was because someone had said it wasn't of any real use). Guess I'm a little too gullible!

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#4 the dummy

the dummy

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

Greetings everyone...again!

I have been reading information on some various security-related items, such as, Spywareblaster, Hphosts, and MVPS...trying to grasp an understanding of each. I must admit...I'm not the most adept at understanding all the technical jargon and just what it is these things do.

Thank you for your time, indulgence, and any enlightenment! :busy:

They may have changed something, but if i remember correctly Spywareblaster is a black listing app, so yes it will protect you from whatever is on the list. The other two apps are drawing a blank, but i would highly recommend taking a look at Sandboxie and go from there.

#5 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

Appreciate the additional info!

spc3rd

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

I recommend using SpywareBlaster as part of your security toolkit.

SpywareBlaster is a program that restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites by adding a list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to the browser's "Restricted Sites Zone". SpywareBlaster prevents the installation of ActiveX-based malware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software and blocks tracking cookies.

It can be used with Internet Explorer and any browsers that use the Internet Explorer engine such as AOL web browser, Avant Browser, Slim Browser and Maxthon (formerly MyIE2) and provides protection for Mozilla Firefox, Netscape, Seamonkey, and Flock. For more information, see SpywareBlaster System Requirements & Supported Browsers.

How does SpywareBlaster work? It adds sites to the restricted zones by adding the domain as a subkey under the registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains. A dword is then added to that domain named * and given a hex value of 4 to specify that it is part of the Restricted Sites Zone. More specifically, Spywareblaster sets the "killbit" on the CLSID (Class ID) of known spyware. Every program has a CLSID that is unique to the type of program. Once Spywareblaster enables (writes) those killbits they are "locked in" and any identified spyware cannot be opened. Spywareblaster writes these killbits in and then stays off until you need to re-write them again with an update. Why is all this important? Some types of malware are known to alter Trusted Zones, Ranges and ProtocolDefaults set for a browser.

If you have upgraded your browser to Internet Explorer 8 as Microsoft recommends, the SmartScreen Filter provides similar but more comprehensive protection by identifying and blocking sites on the web that are distributing malicious software.

SpywareBlaster also includes the ability to keep encrypted backup copies of the Hosts file so if its altered by malware infection, you can easily restore a good backup copy. Unlike many other security tools, SpywareBlaster does not run in the background. Instead it only requires installation and then enabling of all protection. After that you only have to check periodically for database updates using the built-in "Check for Updates" feature and then enable all protection again.

Javacool's Knowledgebase provides a variety of articles relating to SpywareBlaster, information about AutoUpdate, Troubleshoot and Tools (which explains the HOSTS file). For any issues or information not addressed, users can also check at the Official Javacool Software Forum. Information about updates and news can be found at the Javacool Blog which also provides links to the the online forum and Knowledgebase.

If you are not sure how to use SpywareBlaster, please refer to the How to use SpywareBlaster to protect your computer tutorial. In addition to explaining how to use the tool, the tutorial covers other built-in tools and features to include:

System Snapshot
SpywareBlaster has the ability to take a snapshot, or backup, of certain settings in your browser and your registry. These settings will be saved in a database that is stored in your SpywareBlaster directory. If in the future you make a mistake, or things start acting strange, you can restore your configuration from this backup.

The first step is to click on the System Snapshot button on the left. If this is your first time using it, you will want to create a snapshot of your system. You should select the radio button that is labeled Create new System Snapshot and press the Go button. Give the snap shot a name that you will remember and make sure the Append date + time to the end of the snapshot name checkbox is checked. When this is done, press the Create Snapshot button to continue. SpywareBlaster will then save the settings on your computer into a database. When it is done you can press the Finish button.

In the future, if you want to restore this backup you can choose the System Snapshot section and then select the radio button for Restore System to Saved Snapshot Point and press the Go button. You should click once on a snapshot to select it and then press the Next button. If there were any changes from your current settings compared to the ones saved in the snapshot, it will notify you and give you the option to restore them. Otherwise it will tell you there was no difference in your current settings to the ones in the snapshot.

Tools Section
The tools sections contains 5 different tools that you can use on your computer. For most people the only tool I recommend is the Hosts Safe tool. The other tools can cause other Spyware removal tools to view it as a modification made by a Hijacker and should be only used by advanced users.

IE Browser Pages: This tool allows you to change various Browser Pages such as your default Blank Page, or the default search page. Unless you know what you are doing it is recommended that you leave this alone.

Misc IE Settings: This allows you to disable the Internet Tools control panel in your Windows Control Panel. I would leave this unchecked unless you have a good reason. The other option lets you change the text next to the web pages title in your browser windows and is just for cosmetics.

Hosts Safe: This tool is one that I recommend that most users use at least once. This will back up your HOSTS file, which is commonly used by Hijackers, to an encrypted file that can be restored from at a later date. Please use this tool at least once so that you have an available backup.

Flash Killer: This will disable Flash files from being run within your browser. Unless you will never need to use Flash, I would suggest you not use this option as many legitimate sites use flash.

Custom Blocking: This allows you to add custom ActiveX CLSID's that you want to block from running on your computer. This tool should only be used by an advanced user.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

I really appreciate all the VERY detailed follow-up info, Quietman7! After installing the program, I did as you suggested and made a backup of the Hosts Safe.

Thanks again!

spc3rd

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif