Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD ROM detects my DVD's and some CD's as Empty

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 renz07bitang

renz07bitang

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

hi. I've been wandering if what is wrong with my friends laptop. because when put unto the DVD rom the Operating System DVD it detects nothing but an empty DVD. because im trying to reformat it. i have it with me now. but the problem is that mentioned above.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

Hi,

Are you sure the Windows OS DVD works? and is Bootable? You can try the disc on another PC to see if it works well.

Also, if you want the computer to start reading the Windows OS DVD when it starts, you will need to access the BIOS and change the Boot Sequence Order to position the DVD Drive as the first one in the list.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 renz07bitang

renz07bitang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

Yes im sure of it, because i tried it on another PC and it worked. it booted on the OS DVD.

I also did it, I altered the boot sequence into DVD Drive first. the where i noticed first why it did not booted on the OS DVD. so i let the Laptop boot in its HDD. and then i looked in the my computer and it says 4.38 GB free of 4.38 GB.

Could this be a hardware problem?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

This sounds more like a poorly burned DVD than a original DVD.

The Purple color on the bottom would be a giveaway.

Drives can have problems with burned vs original discs due to the different reflectivity.

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 renz07bitang

renz07bitang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:57 AM

I investigated it further by my own knowledge and reading on the net. it seems to be firmware problem. because when i put a Bootable CD on it. it detects it.

Please guide me on How to Upgrade or update the firmware of this DVD Drive. Here is the Detail of it

Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT30N
Firmware Version: 1.01
Serial #: KZ59BQ82005

Laptop Specification

E-Machine D725
Windows 7 Ultimate
2GBRAM

This really bugs me out. Badly Needing Help if anyone can.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

Hi, I can not say if this will help or not. However to update the firmware....

Download Imgburn from http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ImgBurn. BTW it is the only burning software on any of my computers FWIW. No conversions, no authoring, Only reliable burning of CD, DVD and BluRay discs.

Install, skip the toolbar.
Then start the program, choose "Write files/folders to disc"
Then at the top choose tools
Choose the second one down "Drive"
Then at the bottom of tools/drive you will see "Check for firmware Updates..."
Select that and see what it shows you.

If it finds a firmware it will open that page and you can download from there.

Warning, the wrong firmware can kill the drive. Be very sure that you can live with that if it happens.

As far as I can tell that drive is a LG GT30N

I did find firmwares for that drive. Warning using the wrong firmware can kill the drive.

http://www.firmwarehq.com/LG/GT30N/files.html
http://burners.burn4free.com/hitachi-lg-data-storage/hl-dt-st-gt30n.htm

It is hard to tell if either of these would work for sure since this is a OEM drive and LG has nothing listed nor does E-Machine. Trying them could wreck the drive.

LG is one of the worst brands for posting firmware updates. If you were to buy one of their drives that comes with the software disc then one of the utilities is a firmware updater program that checks for updates. Not an option on your OEM drive.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 03 March 2012 - 10:59 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 renz07bitang

renz07bitang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:56 PM

Thanks Roger. It seems that I'm wrong by my findings of the drive. Anyway, I already solved it by unmounting it on the laptop itself due to curiousity of what make or brand my DVD Drive is. i clean the SATA connection then put it in again, then boom. it work already.

Anyway thanks for your effort of finding those firmware links, because i did spend 1 whole day to find those firmwares but couldn't find it. I really appreciate it. This topic can be closed now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users