Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win32/WinMaximizer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Technology Doctor

Technology Doctor

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:06 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials is identifying Win32/WinMaximizer as a virus on both a Windows XP Pro and a Windows 7 Home Premium machine. I have already run Anti Malwarebytes, Security Essentials Full Scan, and ComboFix on the PC and when rebooted, the virus comes right back even though the tools claim they have removed the virus. Obviously, a rootkit, but does anyone know how to remove it? I have searched Experts-Exchange and it is not even mentioned there. This is severly slowing down the performance of both machines. Very frustrating...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 davmic

davmic

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

Having the same experience----I am running Windows XP Home w/ Microsoft Security Essentials

Symptoms started as "IE -Not responding" also other randon programs "Not responding". I have MES settings to "quarantine" and it will quarantine about 3 out of 5 and then it says "Allowed"

#3 19Missy58

19Missy58

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

This is a nasty little virus for sure. It is also called SLOW-PCfighter and WinMaximizer.

Win32/WinMaximizer is a program that is promoted as a system optimization tool. This program displays deceptive or fraudulent claims about files, registry entries and/or other items on the affected computer.

Someone more qualified will be along to help you as soon as they can. :busy:

#4 Technology Doctor

Technology Doctor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

Thank you for the update! I was beginning to think that maybe is was entirely too new for someone to be able to assist.:)

#5 19Missy58

19Missy58

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

I'm sorry that I am not more qualified to help with your problem. Someone here will have all the right answers for you soon.
Good Luck M

#6 Technology Doctor

Technology Doctor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

This one really sucks! It is resisting all of the usually successful tools.

#7 19Missy58

19Missy58

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

Maybe you should post your problem in the "Am I infected, What Do I Do" forum....

#8 Technology Doctor

Technology Doctor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

Will do...

#9 19Missy58

19Missy58

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:29 AM

@ Tech doctor....

Glad to see you are getting help now, sometimes it just posting your problem the right place :thumbup2:

#10 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:46 AM

I have seen this recently on many computers.

You can easily uninstall it from add or remove programs list.

Slow PC fighter just like other PC optimizer crapwares comes at startup.

Edited by narenxp, 23 February 2012 - 08:53 AM.

#11 Technology Doctor

Technology Doctor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:09 AM

In this case, neither Slow-PC Fighter nor Win32Maximizer were in the add remove programs even under safe mode. Nor were the folders containing the original program visible at first. It is gone now, but it took running most of the tools that are listed above to clean out different parts.

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:55 AM

I'm moving this topic to the Am I Infected forum. For future reference, if you see a topic that belongs in another forum, please report the topic so it can be moved or other appropriate action taken. This avoids unnecessary topic duplication.

@ Technology Doctor,

Because you are receiving assistance in another topic on this issue, I'm going to close this topic to avoid confusion for all concerned.

For any others who posted in this topic needing assistance, please create your own topic in the Am I Infected forum. Please note that while infection symptoms may be similar, causes and solutions may be very different.

Orange Blossom ~ forum moderator
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users