Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Thumb drive not recognizsd when plugged ii after boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 krazykat

krazykat

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:43 AM

Hello,

I have a rather strange problem with USB thumb drives not being recognized when plugged in after boot is finished, I whad WIN XP PRO SP3. Here is the sequence of events:

I have two Patriot USB thumb drives, both 32 GIG I will call them P1 and P2; P1 does not appear to have a problem, P2 does appear to have a “strange” problem. When I say “remove drive”, I use the safe to remove USB drive procedure with the system tray icon.

1. Cold boot with hard drive attached, P1 and P2 not attached.
2. Explorer lists the hard drive and reads directory. Remove the hard drive and plug back in. Explored lists the hard drive and reads directory.
3. Plug in P1, Explorer lists drive as “Removable Drive (H)” when I click on the drive get message “please insert disk”.
4. Plug in P2. Explorer lists as drive “Patriot (L)” and when I click on drive I can read/ write to drive.
5. Remove P1 (drive (H) and re plug in. Now Explorer lists the drive as “patriot (H) and when I click on the drive I can read/ write to the drive. Now I now have access to BOTH P1 and P2.
6. Remove both P1 and P2 before shut reboot as part of software removal .
7. After computer shuts down and before reboot plug in BOTH P1 and P2. Reboot computer.
8. After reboot finishes, Explorer lists both P1 and P2 as Patriot drives (L) and (H) and I have read/write access to both.
9. Remove both P1 and P2 and leave unplugged during next reboot.
10. After next reboot, plug in P2 first ( opposite of step 3). Explorer lists drive as “Removable Drive (H)” when I click on the drive get message “please insert disk”.
11. Plug in P1. Explorer lists as drive “Patriot (L)” and when I click on drive I can read/ write to drive.
12. Remove P2 (drive (H) and re plug in. Now Explorer lists the drive as “patriot (H) and when I click on the drive I can read/ write to the drive. Now I now have access to BOTH P1 and P2.
13. I tried this several times during numerous reboots, with the same results:
a. If either or both drives are plugged in BEFORE boot, they are listed by explorer and I have read/ write.
b. If the drives are plugged in AFTER boot, the first drive is not listed correctly and does not have read/write. The second drive is listed correctly with read/write. It does not seem to matter if P1 or P2 is plugged in first. Then, if the first drive is removed and re plugged in, it is listed correctly and has read/write.

STRANGE!! Any suggestions?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

I can only guess that it has something to do with the Bios detecting them and windows loading them at boot.

I would test with a different brand of drive and see what happens then.
It may be some sort of weird incompatibility at the hardware or software level, trying a different brand may give a clue. BTW of flash drives that you don't know where they've been. They may have Malware on them.

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 krazykat

krazykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

rotor123

Thanks for the reply. I have used both drives in my laptop with no problems and a different laptop. I will scan them again for malware

krazykat

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

Have they worked in the past with the problem computer or are you saying they work elsewhere?

Try a different brand and see what happens that way if you can.

I wasn't clear, what I was getting at is if you borrow a flash drive be very careful. Who knows where it has been.

I saw a study showing that a fair percentage of lost flash drives that were bought at an unclaimed lost and found had malware on them and lots of unsecured personal data.

Good luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 krazykat

krazykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

Roger,

Yes, These drives have worked with my desktop in the past. This problem has started within the last couple of weeks. Seems to be related only to my desk top. Good sugestion to try other brand of thumb drive. Will do, I have some older drives that are low capacity.

I agree with borrowed drives ---- and even, "free give away" drives as advertisements. Some come loaded with spam, toolbars and other maleware.

Thanks for the info.

krazykat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users