Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Access Router Settings

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pn12

pn12

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:21 AM

I recently reset my router (Linksys WRT54G2 v1) because I wanted to access the settings and couldn't find my username/password. This was a huge mistake. After about 36 hours, I got my wireless network back up and can now get online. But now, when I try to access my wireless settings by typing 192.168.1.1 into my browser, it tells me "The connection has timed out - The server at 192.168.1.1 is taking too long to respond." I typed ipconfig into my CMD thing, and It told me that my default gateway was now something else, 98.14.80.1. This also doesn't work in the command bar. Without getting into the settings, I don't know what my password is to let any other devices onto my network. I don't want to restart anything because I had to unplug and replug my modem and router a dozen times to get my internet going again (that being the limit of my technical know-how).

This all started because my WII wasn't connecting to the internet and I wanted to watch netflix. It probably won't work after this either.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crashoveride420

Crashoveride420

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:25 AM

Try going to your command prompt, type ipconfig /release. That will release your ip address and gateway. Then you can type ipconfig /renew to renew your ip address and your gateway.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:25 AM

I would try resetting your router back to defaults using the reset button. You can do this with a pen and hold it in for 30 seconds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users