Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista No boot +BSOD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 maddoc

maddoc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:09 AM

I have a Toshiba Satellite L305D-s5934 sitting in front of me. A friend asked me to repair it, and this one has me stumped. It will not boot into Vista, goes through post fine and gets to the loading screen on Vista where it sits for about 3 minutes then BSODs with a registry failure and reboots.

What i have done.

Vista recovery disk, start up repair failed to fix problems. No recovery points set. CMD prompt with a bootrec /fixmbr and bootrec /fixboot both of which were successful, restarted and still no boot.

I dont want to reload this laptop, lots of data that I dont want to loose. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 maddoc

maddoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:36 AM

Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:55 AM

FWIW: http://www.vistax64.com/vista-installation-setup/37241-top-c0000218-registry-file-failure-how-fix-vista-ulti.html

Seems strange...Vista users indicate that it's a RAM problem, while...in XP, it's not handled as such, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830084 .

FWIW: The Registry Cannot Load The Hive

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 February 2012 - 09:59 AM.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

Running the "/fixmbr" command on an OEM laptop may prevent access to the recovery partition should that be needed as a last resort.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 maddoc

maddoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:18 AM

Running the "/fixmbr" command on an OEM laptop may prevent access to the recovery partition should that be needed as a last resort.

Good to know, pretty sure HDD is out the door. Check disk had more bad sectors then i could count. Backed up what data was still good and new hard drive is in the mail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users