Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop stays on BIOS screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joshmurray

joshmurray

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:59 PM

I have a Gateway Laptop. It will not pass the BIOS screen. It says press F2 for Setup or F12 for boot Options and never moves or gives any message. I changed the processor and it did not fix it. The laptop contains (2) DIMM's. I removed (1) and it booted with the same problem. I then added the other module and removed the first one. Still it will not clear the BIOS.

What could this be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

Hi

Does it let you enter the BIOS configuration screens if you press F2?

Also, can you describe exactly the sequence of events that you see on the screen when you turn it on.
Does it show a logo, detecting drives, or anything else before giving you the message to "press F2 for Setup or F12 for boot Options"?

James

#3 joshmurray

joshmurray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

it never enters bios or boot sequence when keys are pressed. It in no way indicates a response to keys being pressed. It shows Intel Celeron processor logo and Gateway logo and press F2 for setup or F12 for boot order. I have a motherboard on order.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

Here are a couple of things to try if you haven't already.

Plug it into the AC adapter, turn it on and leave it on for like an hour and see if it eventually does anything.

Remove the hard drive and try booting it without a hard drive in it and see if it lets you press f2 to get into the BIOS.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users