Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help building a pc please..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 talibandawg

talibandawg

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

Hey all, I recently heard that it cheaper to build your pc rather than buying one already plus you get exactly what you paid for... So i decided to try an build mines....Am looking to build a Pc able to play the latest online games.. Can i get some ideas of a build that would be perfect for online games please .. i have budget of 500 buck(hope that enough to get a solid build).. And i live in the bahamas also..
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

This is my experience: For a low cost unit, it is always, almost always, better to buy a prebuilt system from a big OEM. Economies of scale come into play and the margins, when you figure the cost of the OS, is razor thin. I can find you a store bought system on special, specced the same as a do it yourself build, for less than the your cost on parts. Plus you get an OS and some support. The opposite is true for "high end" units. I can usually duplicate that $3500 Alienware system for less than $2000. OEMs ream you out on "boutique" builds.

What type of online games are you thinking of? They range from low end requirements all the way to Skyrim, which needs some horses for decent gameplay. Let us know what you play, and I am sure suggestions will be forthcoming.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 talibandawg

talibandawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:42 PM

This is my experience: For a low cost unit, it is always, almost always, better to buy a prebuilt system from a big OEM. Economies of scale come into play and the margins, when you figure the cost of the OS, is razor thin. I can find you a store bought system on special, specced the same as a do it yourself build, for less than the your cost on parts. Plus you get an OS and some support. The opposite is true for "high end" units. I can usually duplicate that $3500 Alienware system for less than $2000. OEMs ream you out on "boutique" builds.

What type of online games are you thinking of? They range from low end requirements all the way to Skyrim, which needs some horses for decent gameplay. Let us know what you play, and I am sure suggestions will be forthcoming.

Dc universe online

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

Got me on that one. I looked at the recommended requirements for that and a low end quad core and medium graphics card (ATI 67XX/ NV460) should work fine.

Operating System: Windows XP SP3 (32-bit) or better
CPU / Processor: 3.0GHz dual core processor
RAM / Memory: 2GB
Storage / Hard Drive: 30GB of free hard drive space
Video Card: nVidia 8800GTX or greater, or ATi HD3800 or greater

Even the "recommended" requirements are 3 generations of hardware behind the current offerings, so if that game is your deciding factor, then you can get by with an inexpensive build.

I was at the local Wally Mart this morning and ran across an HP unit for $399, i5, 4gigs RAM, 22" monitor, and I think it had an open PCIEX16 slot. Pair that with a decent $150 video card and you are golden. I think wally World makes it up on those 6' USB cables for $25, and the $30 HDMI cables.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 DavidWJ

DavidWJ

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:36 AM

For online games, the system requirements are really low, if they run in your browser. If you are thinking BF2 or other games that have an online component for the other players moves then the situation changes drastically. With online games the most important things are latency and lag. This is all dependent upon your internet connection.

Building your own you can recycle your older components i.e. case/power supply, hard drives which reduces your cost, for Graphics cards look in the $150US range on NewEgg/Tiger Direct as that is about the sweet spot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users