Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I safely delete .bak files?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lee_29

lee_29

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

I did a search for .bak files that took a LONG time. I found hundreds of thousands of these files that are taking up a TON of space, though I'm not sure exactly how much. Can I delete some or all of these? I'm trying to free up some much needed space.

Please Help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:36 PM

Yes, you can delete .bak files. For future reference, if you aren't sure about deleting one or more files you can move them to a temporary folder that you create and see if there are any problems over a period of time. Also, you should create images of your hd on a regular basis and you'll never worry about things like this - you'll always have a safe haven to which you can return.

#3 lee_29

lee_29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for your response. I'm having further problems trying to delete the files. I get this error:

"Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk"

Is there an easy way to delete these files? Maybe from Windows Command?

Thanks!

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:03 AM

What are the specific files with which you are having a problem and where are they located?

#5 lee_29

lee_29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

I don't know what the specific files are. There are hundreds of thousands. When I perform a search most of them are on my C: drive. I have an external E: drive and there are many on there as well.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

Hi -
Just a FYI on .bak files and exactly what they are. There is more information available, but this shows the basics -

In DOS systems, a file with a.BAK extension, indicating that the file is a backup. Many applications produce BAK files as part of their autosave procedure. Periodically, you may want to search for BAK files and delete old ones.
BAK files are generic backup files meaning any number of programs could have been the one that created the file. The program could have been a dedicated backup program or it could have been a program that simply created a backup (BAK) file of another important file.

Regards -

#7 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:17 AM

Use the Windows cleanup tool to delete unnecessary files. To access it, click Start, go to "Run" (or just hit Windows logo key + R), type: cleanmgr and click OK. It will start with C: by default. Click OK, and then checkmark all the delete options and then click OK.

There's also an option to "Compress old files", but it will take a while if there are a lot of them, so only checkmark that option when you're not going to be using the machine for a while.

#8 WileEDingo

WileEDingo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:56 PM

I know this is an old topic, however, anyone with an older computer may still access it...

If you have MS Office 2003 installed, DO NOT delete the file OPA11.bak, otherwise you will break your installation of Office.

If you have done this and your copy of Office 2013 won't work anymore, you can easily fix it.

1. The error message you receive when you try to start an Office program will give you the location where the missing OPA11.bak file should be. Use Explorer to open a window to the folder noted in the error message. You will need to make hidden files and folders visible, if they aren't already.

2. In a second Explorer window search the C: drive for the file OPA11.dat. When it shows up in the search results, right-click it and select Copy.

3. Now choose the window you opened in Step 1, right-click in the window and choose Paste.

4. Right-click the file that you pasted in Step 3 and choose Rename. Rename it from OPA11.dat to OPA11.bak.

That should fix the problem.

WED

Edited by WileEDingo, 04 February 2015 - 03:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users