Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell dimension 2400 XP Home will not boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wayne_II

Wayne_II

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:51 PM

I'm working on a friends Dell Dimension 2400
Windows XP Home
Intel Pentium 4 2.80Ghz
80GB Maxtor Diamaond Max Plus9 hard drive
512MB RAM PC2700U
BIOS Version A05

The computer would turn on and start to boot and then cut off. I unplugged every thing except the hard drive. It still does the same thing. I hooked a new power supply and new hard drive up to the computer and started a fresh install of XP. It almost finishes the format of the hard drive and reboots to the Windows XP Home logo. It will constantly stay on that screen. One of two things will happen next. It will either BSOD or it will reboot. It has given me a thermal event alert after some reboots and other times nothing just right back to the Windows logo. I'm about to run a memory test that was suggested on some other posts. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :idea:

Edited by hamluis, 14 February 2012 - 05:17 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

Hi

On that model there are two fans. The one in the power supply and the one on the back of the computer below the power supply. The one below the power supply is the CPU cooling fan. Another thing to look at on that model. I have seen where one or more of the four clips that holds the heatsink on is broken causing ti to overheat.

Can you hook up the old hard drive and press F12 to go to the boot device menu and then choose boot Diagnostics Partition? You could run the diagnostics and see if anything shows.

Another thing to look at is to see if there are any bulging or leaking capacitors. http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5 will show you what to look for.

If the Motherboard has bad capacitors then it needs to be replaced or repaired. http://www.badcaps.net has forums with reference to that process.
Your problem sort of sounds like that may be the problem. Usual suspects are by the CPU or Memory slots and sometimes between the PCI slots.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

Did the system ever work with the new PSU or was this the first time?

I would also recommend disassembling everything and putting it back together, one at a time, checking everything along the way. You might also want to clean out the thermal compound off the CPU and reapply the paste.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 Wayne_II

Wayne_II
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

Thanks I will try these suggestion out tomorrow.

#5 Wayne_II

Wayne_II
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

It has bulging or leaking capacitors. Thanks for the help.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

Hi
Sorry to hear the bad news.

If you decide to try and fix it yourself there are helpful people on www.badcaps.net

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users