Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random computer hang

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RunsWithSporks

RunsWithSporks

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

Hello everyone, I did a search through the forums to see if anyone else has had this issue but I could not find the exact problem.

Before I go into details, here are the system specs. Please note nothing has been over clocked.

CPU- Intel Core i7-2600K Processor
Motherboard- Gigabyte Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2133 LGA 1155 Motherboards GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
GPU- EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card
Memory- Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B
Primary Hard Drive- Intel 510 Series (Elm Crest) SSDSC2MH120A2K5 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Slave Hard Drive- Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB
Sound Card- Creative Labs SB0570L4 Sound Blaster Audigy SE
PSU- 1 x OCZ ZS Series 750W 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
CPU cooler- ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink
Media Burner- LG Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 10X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Internal 12X Blu-ray Disc Rewriter WH12LS38
Card Reader- Rosewill RCR-IC001 40-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/ USB Port
Case- Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Operating System- Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

I started this build in December and the hang has been happening more and more frequently. When playing a game, BF3, in my case, everything works perfectly, CPU and GPU stays cool, I have the windows widgets and a readout on my keyboard that uses core temp to see live temps.
However, just watching a video on Youtube or browsing a site, or just listening to music, the system will freeze with the latest image on the screen and if sound was on, a .05 loop of the sound will keep playing. This happens at random times, nothing predictable, and I cannot replicate it. I cannot alt-tab, or ctrl-alt-delete out of it. Both keyboard and mouse go dead and the only way to break the freeze is to hit the reset or power button. On some occasions I will get a BSOD, but I think it has only happened 2-3 times, where as the hang has occurred at least 20+ times in the last month and a half.

Here are some of the things I have tried.

-Ran memtest86 for 14 hours: no errors
-Disabled on board audio in the bios
-Uninstalled Realtek drivers
-Updated Video card, and sound card drivers
-Ran ATItool scan for artifacts for 8 hours: none found
-Ran Prime95 for 4 hours: Stayed below 55C no errors.
-Ran chkdsk
-Messed with my power plans
-Enabled and disabled fast boot in the bios
-Ran full system scans with Avast, MS Security Essentials, Superantispyware, and Malwarebytes: nothing found but tracking cookies
I have done more but I cannot remember right now, will post when it comes back to me.

My next step is trying a new power supply, the 750W may not have enough juice, but I do not have one to test with currently. I am eying the 1200W x-series from Seasonic but I want to make sure it is not something else before I plunk more money down. I am willing to try any suggestions.

Thank you for your time and assistance, I have been very frustrated with this problem.

Edit: Forgot to add that this build originally started with a 96GB SSD which I had Win7 loaded on. I felt it was too small so I upgraded to the larger one. However when I had the smaller SSD installed the same symptoms were present.

Edited by RunsWithSporks, 14 February 2012 - 03:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RunsWithSporks

RunsWithSporks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

So I just scoured my Event Viewer and besides the Kernel-Power Event 41 errors from restarting all the time, I found another error.

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
Date: 2/15/2012 12:49:05 AM
Event ID: 10016
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Titan
Description:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C97FCC79-E628-407D-AE68-A06AD6D8B4D1}
and APPID
{344ED43D-D086-4961-86A6-1106F4ACAD9B}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">10016</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-02-15T05:49:05.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>11302</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Titan</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">application-specific</Data>
<Data Name="param2">Local</Data>
<Data Name="param3">Launch</Data>
<Data Name="param4">{C97FCC79-E628-407D-AE68-A06AD6D8B4D1}</Data>
<Data Name="param5">{344ED43D-D086-4961-86A6-1106F4ACAD9B}</Data>
<Data Name="param6">NT AUTHORITY</Data>
<Data Name="param7">SYSTEM</Data>
<Data Name="param8">S-1-5-18</Data>
<Data Name="param9">LocalHost (Using LRPC)</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

<<However, just watching a video on Youtube or browsing a site, or just listening to music, the system will freeze with the latest image on the screen and if sound was on, a .05 loop of the sound will keep playing.>>

The only common denominator that I see...audio.

I would remove the Creative card and enable onboard Realtek sound...and see if the problems appear again.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 February 2012 - 11:36 AM.

#4 RunsWithSporks

RunsWithSporks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

Thank you for the response. I will give this a try. Please note, I have come downstairs to find the computer hung on the screen saver with nothing else running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users