Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ATI 2600XT BSOD Issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Elitistx

Elitistx

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

Hello again everyone,

I've had this frustrating computer freeze issue for about 2 months now. After many different tests and a lot of research I've narrowed it down to something with either my GPU either dying, or something with the drivers.

I completely repartitioned my hard drive and did a clean install of Windows 7, and got the latest microsoft updates.

So now instead of freezing, the monitor will freeze, and turn a solid color. Usually brown, grey, or blue. It then usually restarts on it's on.

The other problem I'm getting sometimes is a BSOD saying the "video drivers did not successfully recover from timeout", and saying "atikmpag.sys" is the file that's the issue.

I've ran memtest, my RAM went through 5 passes. Temperatures on the northbridge, the cpu, and gpu aren't excessive on load, I cleaned it for dust, so I'm guessing it's a driver issue.

I updated to the latest 12.x driver after my reformat, and this started happening. So I reverted to the stable 10.2, still the same thing. Now I'm at 10.3, and still no luck.

Cany anyone help me?

Edited by Elitistx, 14 February 2012 - 12:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

Well, my suggestion would be to purchase a new video card (from a retailer who accepts returns) and see if that fixes the problem. It certainly sounds like a problem with the display adapter. First, please check in Device Manager - any yellow or red symbols? If not, then try a new card.

#3 Elitistx

Elitistx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

No under Display Adapters it just has the 2600XT listed.

The card is about 3 years old, this computer isn't used for much gaming other than some League of Legends and WoW.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users