Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

modem issue

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

phone modem installed but not recognized by winsows 7 in device manager.What do I need to do?

thx

Edited by bruinator, 14 February 2012 - 12:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

hi, is this a new card that is compatible with win7 .or an old card , what make and model # is the modem

Edited by caperjac, 14 February 2012 - 01:07 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

hi, is this a new card that is compatible with win7 .or an old card , what make and model # is the modem

It is a used modem. It is a internal dial-up modem (agere pinball p40 v 3,3) installed in a PCI slot. It was installed today so it is new. There is no modem listed in device manager. Any ideas on what I need to do?

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

do a search for new hardware ,go to start and type into the search box " hdwwiz" with out the " and get win7 to search for new hardware,if it finds none then pick a modem from the list

Edited by caperjac, 14 February 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:54 AM

You installed the drivers?

Louis

#6 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

You installed the drivers?

Louis

No, I thought the install of the modem would be picked up by plug and play? Do I need to install the drivers for it to recognize the modem?

thx

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:06 PM

i have never install a dial up modem in win7,only because none of my customers use them anymore ,
, but i would have thought it would have detected it with out drivers installed . did you try the hardware search i suggested in my last post

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

It's a soft modem and I don't think it is a standard Winmodem so it probably needs specific drivers (not generic). That's why it doesn't detect it :(

I'm afraid LSI stopped supporting the SV92PP soft modem chipset before Windows 7 was even released (maybe even before Vista). Anything you get working is going to be a duct tape and paperclip fix that's going to blue screen when you need it most.

Get a modem that has good support. PCI 56k, less than $20 with Windows 7 support right out of the box.

James

#9 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

i have never install a dial up modem in win7,only because none of my customers use them anymore ,
, but i would have thought it would have detected it with out drivers installed . did you try the hardware search i suggested in my last post

Yes, I did but nothing worked.

#10 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

It's a soft modem and I don't think it is a standard Winmodem so it probably needs specific drivers (not generic). That's why it doesn't detect it :(

I'm afraid LSI stopped supporting the SV92PP soft modem chipset before Windows 7 was even released (maybe even before Vista). Anything you get working is going to be a duct tape and paperclip fix that's going to blue screen when you need it most.

Get a modem that has good support. PCI 56k, less than $20 with Windows 7 support right out of the box.

James

A guy told me it was used on a win 7 machine and it worked fine. I bought a usb modem yesterday which should work ok with 7 I assume?

#11 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

A guy told me it was used on a win 7 machine and it worked fine. I bought a usb modem yesterday which should work ok with 7 I assume?

Oops, sorry. I was going by the chipset on that modem. The manufacturer stated that they stopped making drivers for it years ago. Get the Windows 7 drivers from the person that you talked to and use that. It probably won't auto detect that modem. You need the specific drivers that your friend has.

I apologize for any confusion.

James

EDIT: Here are compatible modems...
64 bit http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Browse.aspx?type=Hardware&category=Networking&subcategory=Modems&results=50
32 bit http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Browse.aspx?type=Hardware&category=Networking&subcategory=Modems&results=50&os=32-bit

Edited by NeverSayDie, 15 February 2012 - 03:02 PM.

#12 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

it should still detect the modem in my opinion , just before win7 came out i got a free copy from microsft ,install it on my computer ,it had a soundblaster audigy card in it ,no win7 drivers for it ,but it still detected the card ,didn't work, but win7 searched for drivers for it ,and found some generic driver that barley worked ,audigy now has win7 drivers but i don't have card anymore .
so i think it should still detect it ,

Edited by caperjac, 15 February 2012 - 03:07 PM.

#13 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

Guys, on the list from this site lists it as win 7 compatible and it is my version 3.3. Should I just try it? Nothing to lose right? 2nd from top.

http://www.softwarepatch32.net/flpinball-p40-modem.htm

Edited by bruinator, 15 February 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#14 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

i would try it ,shouldn't hurt anything

Edited by caperjac, 15 February 2012 - 04:35 PM.

#15 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:02 PM

Just be careful that they aren't trying to trick you into running a strange .exe

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users