Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Finding Free Antivirus And Firewall Programs For Older Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mharnisch

mharnisch

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 01:53 PM

I have an older computer, Compaq Presario 4770 with a Pentium 200 processor, 32 MB RAM, running Windows 98. I am looking for FREE firewall and antivirus programs that will run on my system. I have tried Avast, AVG, and Zone Alarm, but they all require a faster processor and won't work properly. I cannot afford upgrading or buying new. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IHateAbnormalities

IHateAbnormalities

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:04 PM

AntiVir Personal Edition Classic 7. It has the highest detection rate of the freebie antiviruses. It does not have a e-mail scanner but that should not be a problem if you configure it for optimum protection. Take off scan boot sectors only. Put everything at the highest option. It uses very low resources but I am not sure if it wil run so you should try it out

Edited by IHateAbnormalities, 15 February 2006 - 02:05 PM.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:43 PM

The problem is when that computer was new program were not so demanding. Without 128mb of RAM you are going to find it painful at best to work on the internet. If not impossible. A pair of 64mb sticks of RAM is about $15 on eBay. you only need PC66 or may be event old 72 pin memory.

Look for the 64mb PC100 sticks here.. http://stores.ebay.com/VoIP-AsteriskPBX-Linux-N-More
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:07 PM

Hello mharnisch and welcome to BC.

When I encounter a machine like that I install AVG Free (without the email scanner, by using the Custom Install) and an old version of ZoneAlarm, usually version 2.6 or 3.1 available from OldVersion.com. Whatever the resulting speed of the computer is you are going to have to be satisfied with it.

Edited by Leurgy, 15 February 2006 - 04:09 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 ssfire

ssfire

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:15 PM

For a firewall you might try Kerio 2.1.5 it's an old version but it's free. It can downloaded from:

http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page7.html

#6 Adam123

Adam123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:34 AM

For an ativirus package, I would reccomend Antivir www.free-av.com
Also, if your Version of Windows is 98SE (Second Edition) then I would reccommend Zonealarm www.zonealarm.com

Hope this helps

Adam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users