Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System does not turn off

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 AlreadyTaken

AlreadyTaken

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:57 PM

I have encountered a odd problem. On a new build, when I use shutdown in windows 7, the system will shut down, completely, including power to fans. After 5 seconds or more the system restarts... After extensive troubleshooting, Bios flash, Autoreboot state change, disabling wake on lan, etc... I have narrowed it down to a Driver for USB 3.0 More specifically the Intel Renasas 3.0 driver. If I remove this driver every thing is fine, reinstall it and same problem. The driver itself apparently is OK since it works in other systems. Do you think this is probably a defective MoBo? Any input appreciated.

System specs:
Intel DZ68BC series
I7 2600K
8G 2x4 DDR3 Mushkin Blackline
WD Velociraptor 150G
WD Black 500G
Seasonic M1211 620W Bronze certified
using on chip graphics until this problem is solved

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

When you go into BIOS, go to power options, and make sure power up by USB is turned off, in fact try disabling all power on features except the power button, and see if it makes any difference.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 AlreadyTaken

AlreadyTaken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:27 AM

Thanks for the fast reply. I just rechecked power settings in BIOS, everything is either in stay-off mode or disabled. I also have the USB 3.0 disabled.

#4 Phylar

Phylar

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:20 AM

Oh wow. I've both never encountered this problem nor have heard of it before. There is a chance that the driver is conflicting with your systems other utilities. Check around for others with the same driver, see if they have a different setup then yours. I can't imagine this to be the problem but other then the BIOS idea above this is the only one that comes to mind.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

try uninstalling the USB 3 driver, and rebooting and seeing what happens.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 AlreadyTaken

AlreadyTaken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:02 AM

Well, I thought removing the driver was the cure, BUT, I have found discovered only partially. Withe the USB 3.0 driver installed, the restart occurs EVERY time I shut down. With the driver removed, it happens maybe one out of five cycles. I am really puzzled, and running out of ideas.
I have just disabled everything in the BIOS that is not essential, or required for use, including everything not even seemingly related to the issue. The system currently consists of one hard drive, one stick of ram, the pwr Sup, mobo and processor. Not even a fan, well except processor heat sink. The problem is gone, but where do I start? With it only occuring randomly, I never know if something I change cures it or not. I am at the point of just replacing the MOBO, even though I really hate to give up!

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

It is an odd problem-to me it sounds like its either a driver issue, or a short somewhere, probably on the motherboard. Have you contacted the motherboard customer support and seeing if they have any suggestions?

picard5.jpg

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

Hi

Try this.

If you have a reset button in addition to a power button on your case, disconnect your power button and connect your reset button to the power button pins on the motherboard. Use the reset button to turn it on. See if the problem persists.

If you don't have a reset button then disconnect the case power button and use the power button on the motherboard. See if the problem persists.

I have a PC with a spooky power switch that has been rewired to use the reset button for over 3 years now :)

If it's a problem with the power button built onto the motherboard, you're kinda screwed and it would be hard to prove.

It's a shot in the dark but it's better than nothing.

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 15 February 2012 - 12:48 AM.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:47 AM

neversaydie has some good advice there, I didnt even think of it.

picard5.jpg

#10 AlreadyTaken

AlreadyTaken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

Thanks, A good suggestion, neversaydie. You are thinking the power switch is sticking, which is very possible! So, I just unplugged the switch from the MOBO, and started the system with the onboard switch (this intel DZ68BC board has onboard power and reset switches), I cycled it 4 times and the restart occured on #4. Now it is still possible that the onboard switch is sticky, no way to test for sure, but I have tried just holding the switch on and the machine will not start until I release the switch, and if the switch were flaky and made contact sometime after releasing it, U would think the system would reboot immeadiatly, but that does not occur, it only has a problem on a software shutdwn.

I have been so frustrated with this problem that I have another Board on the way, which I am quite sure will remedy the issue. Although I have not given up, I am going to work at this, until I have to send this board back! I really hate to give up on something like this, and it can be a good learning experience, but enough is enough! It would be nice if there were a schematic diagram of the startup section of the board, but I quite seriously doubt Intel would release that. I am still open to any suggestions up until the new board arrives. Thanks again.

#11 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

When you press the power switch it makes a momentary contact and what happens is the Power Control Circuit in the power supply detects that and checks to see if the PC is on. If the PC is not on, it causes the 'PSU On Signal' to drop to a logic 0 which starts a sequence of making sure the voltages are clean and proper and then feeding them to the motherboard.

On your machine, it is setting 'PSU On Signal' to a logic 0 without touching the power switch. Faulty power switch was the easiest to check :)

Now you are probably looking at a possible fault with the power supply. Do you have another power supply you can try?

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 15 February 2012 - 06:57 PM.

#12 AlreadyTaken

AlreadyTaken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

Power Supply, yes you would think so. But, today i pull a working supply from another unit, and no help! Now the only thing in common with the problem is the ram, and hard drive. As I type, Memtest86 is has been running for 2 hours with no errors. I really cant see how a hard drive could cause such a problem, but stranger things have happened. One last thought, could it be possible the the media, a corupted file on the windows 7 install disc, could cause this? Thats the only other thing in common with every shut down. (Have installed 3 times).

#13 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

Hi

If you have a network cable plugged into it, try unplugging it and see if it still happens.

James

#14 AlreadyTaken

AlreadyTaken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

Network cable has been on and off several times, and everything I can turn off or disable to do with wake on lan has been tried.

#15 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

Then if I were you, I would send back the mobo for a replacement.

Something is telling the power supply to turn on after it is shutdown. If a different working power supply checks out and the external switch isn't causing it and all the BIOS options to power on during specific events have been disabled then either something is shorting on the mobo or there are errors/corruption in the CMOS code for the BIOS.

Since you've eliminated everything else, it is the motherboard or the BIOS and both are valid reasons to request a replacement since flashing the BIOS did not fix it.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users