Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition D: files not visible, no access

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Machuga

Machuga

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:41 PM

Hello dear pc specs.

I had Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installed.
I caught a virus, could not get rid of it, kept getting forcefully logged off, and couldn't manage anything from safe mode, or do a sys. restore either.
Quickly got irritated, and formatted C: drive and reinstalled.
After installation I navigated to the D: partition, however, the explorer simply says that this folder is empty.

under properties, the D: drive is still 37GB full and 231 GB empty, I do not have any other partitions.

If you guys have any suggestions please help. I don't have anything particularly too important on the partition, but I would still very much like to regain access to those files.

Thanks, Cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Machuga

Machuga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:54 AM

I downloaded a small application called Explorer++ which is just an alternate to windows explorer. It sees the files just fine. I guess it's just something in the windows explorer settings?? still I would like to get this figured out. If you have suggestions, shoot.

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:20 AM

It's possible that the files are still marked hidden by the old virus. Have you tried running Grinler's Unhide.exe?

Regards,
Brooks

#4 Machuga

Machuga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

Wow thank you, a great tool, worked like a charm.

#5 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

After installation I navigated to the D: partition, however, the explorer simply says that this folder is empty.

under properties, the D: drive is still 37GB full and 231 GB empty, I do not have any other partitions.

You think that you have not an extra partition and there are no files, well my friend, think again will I say, because when you install Windows 7, than will be there also invisible files just as system drivers.
Windows 7 installed the system on that way that you think and says to yourself: What the Hack, what is that now, I haven't extra partition and it is empty, but when you delete that partition; it is possible if you uninstalled the security, that your system will be crashed immediatly after deleting.
Belief me, my friend, you are not happy with that.
You can only see the invisible files with advanged program.

So here is a wise solution, don't try remove the security and that partition, if you do that than are you in deep troubles.
I am sorry for this message, but what I did tell is for 100 percent true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users