Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell 430 Desktop wont boot. Hangs after Physical Disks listed and asks to press CTRL-I for Configuratoin Utitliy

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jihadme@hello

Jihadme@hello

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

My Dell XPS 430, Vista 64bit, recently shut down similar to how it will when Windows does an automatic reboot after an update. The only thing different is that now all of a sudden the boot sequence stops at a command "Press <CTRL-I> to enter Configuration Utility".

On the same screen it lists the following information:

Intel® Martrix Storage Manager option ROM v7.6.1.1001 ICH9R

Copyright© 2003-07 Intel Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

RAID Volumues:

None defined.

Physical Disks:

Port Drive Model Serial# Size Type/Status(Vol ID)

0 ST3750630AS 9QK1SZEO 698.7GB Non-RAID Disk

3 WDCWD1002FAEX-0 WD-WCATR4339904 931.5GB Non-RAID Disk
n
Press <CRTL-I> to enter Configuration Utility....

- For the record I normally boot to port 0 and it has Vista installed on it. As a secondary drive with Windows 7, I have port 3 set up. Normally it would boot, list these drives and 2 other partitions and allow me to select which drive I wish to boot to. Now all of a sudden its hung up on this and I can't boot to any drive.

I've also tried taking the battery out of the mother board to reset the BIOS...this didn't do anything..
Any suggestions?

Please let me know if I need to provide additional information!

Thanks!

Edited by Jihadme@hello, 13 February 2012 - 11:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jihadme@hello

Jihadme@hello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:13 AM

I literally have no idea what happened. Do I need to set up a RAID volume?? If so, can I do so without losing all information on the drive?

Its almost as if the boot sequence somehow changed and it no longer accesses the drives or gives me the option to boot...it just forces me to start the configuration utility.

Edited by Jihadme@hello, 14 February 2012 - 08:20 AM.

#3 Jihadme@hello

Jihadme@hello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

I just attempted to install a RAID on my drive, but backed out because it indicated that all data would be lost.

Can anyone give me a hand here?

#4 Jihadme@hello

Jihadme@hello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:24 AM

So far I've reset the BIOS and played around with boot sequence,but haven't had any luck.

I have two drives on this desktop, one Western Digital 1TB with Windows 7, and the other came with the computer and is a Seagate 750gb with Vista. I am not able to boot to either one, only given the option of pressing CTRL-I to enter Configuration Utility.

I was suspecting a hard drive crash, but the fact that neither drive will boot makes me skeptical. I can see one drive failing, but both failing at the same time seems too coincidental...

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:23 PM

Have you tried turning the raid functionality off. Reboot then set boot priority.

What happens then. Is it possible that your cmos battery could need replacing? Are the date and time correct?

What happens when you Press F12 when the Dell Logo appears to use the Boot Device Menu and you choose the proper boot drive?

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:08 PM

In addition to rotor123's tips, if you have a DVD drive, disconnect it from the system and try booting. It has been a few years but I have seen this happen from bad DVD drives twice before. I admit it's a longshot and I wouldn't recommend it if you weren't already in the computer doing things like pulling the CMOS battery :)

James

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

Actually I have seen something similar where a DVD drive being first in the boot order kept it from booting. Setting it second after the drive and all was well and it would still read discs strangely enough.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users